Inventory Upload Problems

To err is to be human, to help each other is joy. Tell your Compiere needs in your own words. Let's figure out together.

Moderator: azaharizaman

Postby eetimm » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:57 pm

I am a new Compiere user who is having problems uploading my initial inventory. My import file uploads correctly, but when I go into the Physical Inventory window to process the records, I receive the message "transaction not inserted(1)" at the bottom of the Physical Inventory screen.

I also noticed that my documentation shows a "Process Inventory Count" button on the Physical Inventory screen...I have never seen this appear so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I would appreciate anyone's guidance on what I might be doing wrong for importing my inventory. Thanks - ET
eetimm

Postby red1 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:14 am

This i think most likely due to incomplete data u supplied. Try checking if u got location or warehouse correct. Do tell if u progress.
red1
Site Admin

Postby eetimm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:06 am

Thanks, Red, for your response. I have checked the warehouse and locators and they are correct for the items that I am trying to upload.

I am checking right now to see if my costing is set up correctly. Hopefully, these things will solve my problem. Is there anything else that I should check in case that does not work?

Regards,

ET
eetimm

Postby red1 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:42 am

I presume u re doing importing of your inventory. Did the Import table looks ok?
If u get that kinda message it means its stopping at the import stage, and not allowing any records thru into the final inventory table.

At the import stage, (which carries tons of headaches) its usually the data given isnt proper. Either there is confusion of which field means what value, or the SearchKeys (or Value field in master tables).

There shuld be some ORA error message at the Import window which u were at after hitting the process (import) button. Otherwise look up and paste some initial part of the error prompts during execution. Clues are needed here. I cant remember that window cos the last time i saw that was 2 years ago.
red1
Site Admin

Postby eetimm » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:51 am

Thanks, Red. I am not getting any import errors (I had some before but got them cleaned up) in the client window. When I try to import the data after uploading, everything looks fine and all of the required fields are there.

When I click on the "Import Inventory" button, the program asks me for a single locator, which confuses me because I am trying to upload data to 3 different locators (I have 3 records in my upload test, each record is a unique product and locator). I select "Standard" for this and it appears to process the upload. When the upload is completed, I receive the message that 1 physical inventory has been created with 3 records.

It is at this point that I get stuck. My conclusion is that the inventory is being uploaded correctly at this point but that there is something else that I have not done that is preventing me from proceeding (I also tried to manually create inventory records but they did not process either--this reinforces my belief that there is something else that I have not done). I am manually entering my standard costs so I can eliminate that as a cause.

I will try to upload again once I get my costs set up...I will repost after I try it again. I will also write up my resolution when it does work so that this might make it easier for someone else.

Regards,

ET
eetimm

Postby eetimm » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:56 am

eetimm wrote:Thanks, Red. I am not getting any import errors (I had some before but got them cleaned up) in the client window. When I try to import the data after uploading, everything looks fine and all of the required fields are there.

When I click on the "Import Inventory" button, the program asks me for a single locator, which confuses me because I am trying to upload data to 3 different locators (I have 3 records in my upload test, each record is a unique product and locator). I select "Standard" for this and it appears to process the upload. When the upload is completed, I receive the message that 1 physical inventory has been created with 3 records.

It is at this point that I get stuck. My conclusion is that the inventory is being uploaded correctly at this point but that there is something else that I have not done that is preventing me from proceeding (I also tried to manually create inventory records but they did not process either--this reinforces my belief that there is something else that I have not done). I am manually entering my standard costs so I can eliminate that as a cause.

I will try to upload again once I get my costs set up...I will repost after I try it again. I will also write up my resolution when it does work so that this might make it easier for someone else.

Regards,

ET

Just to clarify...after the import, I go to the physical inventory window to process the inventory. At this point, I can see all of my uploaded inventory with the correct values for my beginning inventory. My problems start when I try to complete the physical inventory process by clicking on the "Complete" button. After trying to complete the physical inventory, I receive the "transaction not inserted(1)" message at the bottom of the Physical Inventory screen with no error messages in the client window.

ET
eetimm

Postby red1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:37 am

hmm... i will recommend to do single record tests. Try with one single import and work from there. The trick is to get a clean case and the replicated error.

This is what i call taking steps backwards to the moment things are AOK. Thus begin if necessary with a completely clean record that may not fit your case, i.e. everything standard - one locator, and then begin changing towards your unique situation.
red1
Site Admin

Postby eetimm » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Okay...I updated all of my standard costs last night and then tried to import a single record. The import was successful with zero errors. I then went into physical inventory to process the inventory. The inventory count record was there from the upload. When I clicked on the "complete" button, I received the "transaction not inserted(1)" message again. I checked the Compiere client window and there was no error message listed.

I then tried to manually run a physical inventory count to see if the uploaded data was the problem. I created the count list, entered my count, and then hit "complete". I received the same "transaction not inserted(1)" message.

Since I can't do this manually or from an upload, I am concluding that I am missing something in Compiere that will let me post inventory changes. I do not believe this to be an upload issue anymore. Is there anything that comes to mind that must be done prior to loading the initial inventory? Alternatively, is there another method of loading my inventory that I could use to keep moving on our implementation?
eetimm

Postby eetimm » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:14 am

Mystery solved!

Jim Yanda of Profitech (he posts here as profitech) emailed me with a suggestion...to check how I was logging into Compiere as a user. He suspected that I was logging in as "*" at the Organization level rather than as the specific organization to which I was loading the inventory. This never had crossed my mind, but once I logged in as the correct organization, the inventory popped right in.

Thanks to Jim, a good rule of thumb when working with inventory (and other areas?) is to log in specifically to the organization level.

I feel a little foolish that I did not figure this one out, but I am now back on track! Thanks Red1 and Jim!

ET
eetimm

Return to Ask RED1 personally