Install/update of application customizations

Create your own tidbits here. Drinks on the house. Ash-trays provided.

Install/update of application customizations

Postby ola » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:19 am

Questions for someone who knows Compiere a little better than I do,

What is a good way to handle application deployment/updates in Compiere?

Database data:

The data you put into the Compiere DB is basically of two different types,
- Application dictionary that controls the application behaviour, that is customization of the system
- User data that is the data for the actual organization that uses the system, like accounts, business partners etc.

If I make a customization/add-on-module to Compiere, I want to be able to install/deploy that customization to another Compiere system without changing any of the user data in that system.

The idea I've had so far is to keep the customization as sql-scripts that can be loaded into a Compiere DB, and that way the installation is done.
But there is at least one problem with this and that is the ID:s of records in the tables that may already be in use.
Also, I haven't found an easy way of creating the SQL script by exporting just the changes that I want, so I do it by hand which is not that efficient.

How do other people do this?

What is the recommended Compiere way?

Java code:

So far I haven't done any java code for Compiere, but I noticed that in the examples of red1, the actual Compiere java files are changed.

This seems to create a problem of handling new versions of Compiere or to have two different customizations/add-ons in one system. (Because there will be a collision between the different changes).

Why don't put all customizations in separate java classes?

Is there a problem doing that with Compiere?

Ola
ola

Postby red1 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:23 am

Hi Ola,
Actually what u wanted is been done by Marco LOMBARDO in http://compilo.sourceforge.net/ Look for XML2AD to download and try it out.

About my tutorials on the source codes changes, its meant only for small workarounds, personalisations and bug-solvings. As i mentioned in compilo document, these are not meant for serious application modfications.

Of couse u can still do that, but it involves making your own server repository as u will have forked from Compiere's mainstream itself.

To want your changes to be with Compiere, u can try the contribution section of compiere sourceforge project. More serious changes: u will have to write to Jorg Janke, but my advice is that the prefered way by Jorg (in my opinion) is that he will accept votes from Paying Partners. However ppl like u have voiced concerns and that this approach is getting far left behind in view of tremendous growth of Compiere user base which cannot be handled by ComPiere Inc's small staffing.

Perhaps Jorg will accept some venture capital and create a boom for himself. But still its up to him. He has done so much good so far, i wouldnt want to advice him in anyway. Its best to leave Compiere to its own market forces, for good or bad.

red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby ola » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:57 am

Yeah, the XML2AD is very interesting.
Like Marco says in the README file, the opposite direction AD2XML together with XML2AD would solve this problem (in a way).

I'll continue looking into this to find a good solution.

> About my tutorials on the source codes changes, its meant only for
> small workarounds, personalisations and bug-solvings. As i mentioned
> in compilo document, these are not meant for serious application
> modfications.

Ok, I understand.

Thanks!
ola

Postby joliveira » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:01 pm

HI

I´m working with java at Argentina-Buenos Aires, from six years, and have to modify several java projects.

My experience ( i have my java framework, next it will be at Open Source ), is that we cant do a interface to connect compiere with another project, that do what i need.

Then if compiere has a new release it doesn´t not matter to us.

Thus any person do a UML sequence from Compiere.
I will try to do something with Eclipse Omondo Enterprise they said that trasnlate from bytecode to sequece diagram... ?????
Saludos

Julio Oliveira - Buenos Aires
joliveira

Return to Open Forum