Manufacturing with Compiere for Automotive Industry

Before you even think of trying Compiere. What you should worry about. What are the issues? These are stuff that our prospects and clients went through. No holds barred. We tell it like it is.

Manufacturing with Compiere for Automotive Industry

Postby Gan MH » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:39 am

Hi,

Basically, the company which I refer to involved in engineering, die-making, raw material fabrication, metal stamping and assembly of automotive components mostly for (name removed). The company is TS-ISO certified and has been in operation for almost 20 years with almost 300 employees and a large production factory. Currently, their operation is supported by Lotus / Excel spreadsheets and a simple accounting software.

The owner has a strong vision and desire to enhance their operational and financial efficiency to a higher level. Thus, they are looking for a good MRP system with source code since they also have the idea of selling the solution to their 2nd tier supplier, and possibly to other manufacturers as well.

After some research and study on the Compiere and several other open source ERP software, I manage to convince the owner to adopt Compiere not only for their MRP but also ERP and CRM. And they basically agree to sponsor the development for the MRP module development. From project management perspective, I see high success rate for the system implementation due to the profound support and understanding from the owner.

That is the brief description of the project, I myself am not familiar with Compiere but its features, flexibility and architecture is among the best (but also most complex) I've seen that I have no doubt to recommend the company owner about Compiere. (And of course thanks to your vast explanation in the red1.org forum).

I really looking forward to discuss in detail about the project with you.

Thank you.

Regards,
(name removed)
Gan MH
Senior

Postby Gan MH » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:41 am

Hi,
First, u have to reflect on the following:

1) Are they willing to pay for study, implementation, training costs besides the sponsor of MRP module. The system cannot work out of the box in such an environment.

2) The costs can be around RM30k per month X 12 mths ++.

3) My worldwide team is heavily engaged in numerous projects. And they can only be pulled if there is such cost consideration.

4) The software been Open Source shall remain open source and u can only sell the consultancy services which we are doing.

5) Thus as we are not charging for software, any work we do outside it are chargeable, including presales meetings, demos and prototyping. One day's work is RM1k.

6) As OS, it has many bugs, no warranty and no official vendor support.

Thats why Compiere doesnt outright defeat SAP Business One, or JDE. I have explained extensively such points in the forums, and OS can only give savings about 30% vs proprietary brands. The other distinct advantage is u have the codes. And if u share it, u are insuring yourself as others will use it and improve it for u indirectly.

Regards
red1
Gan MH
Senior

Return to PreSales Bites