Demo? If not then a few questions

Before you even think of trying Compiere. What you should worry about. What are the issues? These are stuff that our prospects and clients went through. No holds barred. We tell it like it is.

Demo? If not then a few questions

Postby rsax » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:14 am

First of all is there an online installation of Compiere that I can use as a demo? I would like to download the client software and point it to a demo server so that I can evaluate some specific features.

If that is not possible then I have a few questions....

As I understand it, a customer will be able to go to the company website and create a new request, which in our case would be for an on-site technician call.

1. Does the customer get a request # emailed back to them or display one on the website itself?

2. Can the customer log into our website and view a list of requests that they initiated which are currently being worked on? Each time a technician updates a request, will it show up in the customer's web interface section?

3. What happens when a technican closes a request? I am hoping that we have the option of turning it into an invoice with automatically importing the minutes worked by technician into the invoice.

4. About customer info management... when you click on a customer's information, does it show a list of previous work that was performed for the customer and all the invoices associated with them? How much history can one customer record hold before you have to archive old items?

5. Is it possible to maintain extra notes on each customer? Like what type of equipment they have on site, if some of it was sold to them by our company, technician info on who installed the equipment and warranty years?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!
rsax

Postby lofx » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:30 am

Hi!!!

First of all, there is no on-line compìere demo i know of, nevertheless, if you install the client and server you will find gardenworld company as an example.

now you questions;

1) yes

2) if any action is taken, and the request is reprocessed, the user will be notified as a new step in the request, so yes.

3) it seems compiere latest version (2.5.2) does exactly that, but i am still evaluating it.

4) orders and invoices are stored, with the details of the lines. As per the second aspect, you DB installation is the limit.

5) my personal opinion is that you can store that info creating a new tab in the business partner info, and you can do so through application dictionary, so you don't need to know any java or oracle at all.

Sorry to be so telegraphic today but i just came back from a three day trip and i am exhausted. I will give you further detail if needed but i hope i cleared your doubts somehow.

Regards,
lofx
Regular

Postby rsax » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:40 am

lofx wrote:First of all, there is no on-line compìere demo i know of

:cry: I'm sure Compiere is awesome software since it seems to be very popular but it would be nice to briefly test drive it before taking on the daunting task of installing Oracle and all the extra software.
lofx wrote:3) it seems compiere latest version (2.5.2) does exactly that, but i am still evaluating it.

Can you please post more details about this? This would be an amazing feature for us because right now a lot of time is spent re-entering a lot of our tasks information back into accounting software for invoices. If I understand your comment correctly, version 2.5.2 will definitely lets us convert finished requests into invoices.

Please let me know if Compiere allows the person completing the request to also enter in the amount of time it took to finish the task and whether this information is automatically entered into the invoice as well.
lofx wrote:4) orders and invoices are stored, with the details of the lines. As per the second aspect, you DB installation is the limit.

We will most likely use the newly released Oracle Express Edition database to first test Compiere with a few employees. Once it is working as we like then we will most likely use the Compiere Support Contract - Oracle Edition in order to get the embedded Oracle license. So either way the database will be Oracle since it seems to be the most supported by Compiere developers.
lofx wrote:5) my personal opinion is that you can store that info creating a new tab in the business partner info, and you can do so through application dictionary, so you don't need to know any java or oracle at all.

So I should be able to create this "tab" right within the Compiere client software?

I should have definitely mentioned this, no one in our company is a Java developer. We are a small company and I am the only system admin here. I know a lot of Perl and some Ruby scripting but I would be lost if I had to customize a Java application. I am hoping that management will allow us to hire Compiere consultants to customize the application for our needs in the future but for now I have to show them that it works as is for what we need. They probably won't let me even spend company time installing or testing it if we have to hire a Java developer up front. It sucks but I can understand their point of view.
lofx wrote:Sorry to be so telegraphic today but i just came back from a three day trip and i am exhausted. I will give you further detail if needed but i hope i cleared your doubts somehow.

No need to apologize. I'm very glad that I got answers to those questions. :D

This is regarding question # 2 "Can the customer log into our website and view a list of requests that they initiated which are currently being worked on?" ... Right now customers always call us to get status updates on the work being performed for them. This uses up a lot of time since someone has to talk to them on the phone and read our notes from our tasks journal. Based on your experience, do you know if we will be able to create a portal type account for one customer with login and password. So when this customer creates 5 requests in one day, they will be able to log into our website and Compiere will show them a list of all 5 open requests? So now if one request is completed then does it get removed from the page entirely or does it stay there and just gets marked completed? Ideally it would be nice if they could see something like "your current open requests - click on each request to see progress details" and "your previous 10 closed requests". It's not extremely important that they see the previous closed requests but definitely the open ones.

I guess it's little stuff like this that I won't find out about until I assemble a test server for Compiere and Oracle, just trying to get a good idea before I can go to management and say this will probably let us accomplish such and such things so please let me get hardware and don't bug me for a day while I set up everything and test the software :wink:

By the way... sorry for posting such large messages.
rsax

Postby red1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:43 am

Regarding question #2 on Requests, the answer is generally "yes". The users can, via the web, look up their respective status and conduct their own self service part of the ERP cycle. And that is done via their pass login and thus secured via https.

Regarding the daunting task of setting up Compiere, its actually quite simple and should take a technical person half a day to do that once all the binaries are on the desktop.

The best chance of evaluating and seeing Compiere first hand is to play with it like a toy, and like most kids, they rather play with it themselves than watch others play with it for them :D

So far we have enjoyed it, and we wana stop bragging.
red1
Site Admin

Return to PreSales Bites