Many-to-one-relationship?

It is here where business functions and pains hits you in the face. Do we extend and weave requirements into Compiere? Or do we just tweak hardly a code with smart thinking and a full grasp of Compierology? You’ll see lots of both in making your business grow.

Many-to-one-relationship?

Postby MadMartigan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:33 am

Hello fellow Compiere users. I thought I would post this question to see if anyone has suggestions or ideas on this issue. I’ve been “pouring over” (that is slang for “reading everything I can get my hands on”) the Compiere documentation and the forums.

The issue is; how to avoid entering duplicate data for items that are identical except for price.

Here is the problem. Lets say that you sell movies. You sell DVD and VHS format. The movie is the exact same, but the price is different depending on the format. In Compiere you would have to create two separate items to handle the different prices. However, you would also have to create the same description (Document Note) twice. This is duplicating a lot of data unnecessarily.

So, the question is, can Compiere (easily) associate multiple items with single record?

For example, if I go to our example movie item and look at the DVD item, and then go to the VHS item, can both items read a field from a common table to display in the “Document Note” field?

My current solution is to create a new table (ZZ_COMMON_SKU) and create a foreign key and constraint on that table. But I’m still concerned that I am taking the hard path and maybe Compiere has a more elegant solution built in.

So, any ideas? :D
I drank what? -- Socrates
MadMartigan

Postby red1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 am

I think the Attributes aspect of the Product window can solve this issue...
The example in GardenWorld is that its used for Color and Sizes of the same T-Shirt. So why not for diff Type of the same movie?
red1
Site Admin

Different Price list versions for same item code

Postby lyqueen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:06 am

You may try to create different price list versions for the same item code. It is not necessary to recreate the item codes because of different pricing structures.

Cheers
lyqueen

Return to Reality Strikes