Warehouse Management System

The migration of Adempiere modules to iDempiere

Warehouse Management System

Postby red1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 pm

PROJECT CODE: Libero
MAINTAINER: Red1
CREATOR: Victor Perez of E-EVOLUTION Mexico, 2007
SPONSOR: Zeeshan of SYSNOVA Bangladesh
WMS 1.0: iDempiere plugin with InfoWindow Process (see http://wiki.idempiere.org/en/NF2.1_Proc ... nfo_Window).
PENDING; Inbound handling

WMS 2.0: Early Release 2016-JAN-17 - Pre-Alpha status for R&D. *** Not for production ***
ENVIRONMENT: Java 1.7, iDempiere 2.1/3.1
CONTRIBUTOR: Nov 25, 2015, Norbert Bede of MULTIMAGE, Slovakia shares SAP-like improvements: Inbound, Handling Unit with history, and Empty Storage analysis.
DEVELOPER: Tomáš Švikruha

WMS Print Label.png
WMS Print Label.png (66.03 KiB) Viewed 8695 times

TASKS by MAINTAINER: between November 2015 and January 2016:
    1. Source-code refactoring:
    .i Separation of core code changes into plugin using POWrapper approach.
    .ii Converting most string handling to StringBuilder type.
    .ii Decouple from org.libero.manufacturing as standalone plugin
    .iii REPOSITORY:
    a. BITBUCKET: http://bitbucket.org/red1/org.libero.wms2
    b. SOURCEFORGE: http://sf.net/projects/red1/files/WMS/
    2. DATABASE CHANGE.
    .i First apply this patch to source before install plugin with 2pack - from http://idempiere.atlassian.net/browse/IDEMPIERE-2745 - IDEMPIERE-2745_virture_column.patch.
    .ii From 2Pack_*.zips. No need to pack in as it is in binary plugin.

a. Full Database Dump no need 2Pack: SOURCEFORGE > ExpDat20160214_140712.jar (based on IDempiere 3.1 December 17)
    3. BINARY PLUGIN: SOURCEFORGE > org.libero.wms2_3.1.0.201602141443.jar (2Pack included)
    4. Migration scripts: None
    5. FitNesse Testing: None
    6. Documentation: README.txt in SOURCEFORGE and this forum at the moment.
    7. Sample setup data: None.
    8. TODO: Subject matter review of code and sample setup manual testing. Findings are been posted from time to time below.

WMS Menu.png
WMS Menu.png (66.55 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
red1
Site Admin

Re: Warehouse Management System

Postby red1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 am

Core impact:
    1. WMS 2.0 touches a lot of core such as AD_User, C_Order model, and Inventory models as a list of the housed wrapped code is shown below.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 4.14.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 4.14.35 AM.png (41.88 KiB) Viewed 8693 times
    I have removed all of them using the POWrapper approach. Thus plugin can be installed on top of a clean iDempiere 2.1/3.1 without breaking any core code and should enjoy further core upgrade migration as time goes by.
    2. Dependency originally remains with org.libero.manufacturing plugin but I have removed both meta-data and source code dependency. The only linkage was ReleaseInOutbound process which has to be done again without plugins entanglement.
    3. Meta model has plenty of changes that recursively need core model changes thus a clean one time pack-in will not work. 2Packs have to run in order, twice until ZERO unresolved appears.
    4. Object relationship code hardly uses the Query interface and there are a lot of SQL strings. My son helped me to convert quite all String variables to using StringBuilder for smaller memory footprint.
slovakia.jpg
slovakia.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
Operations:
    1. All menu items have been manually tried out to open successfully and buttons pushed with minor breakages. No data setup ready yet to test particularly underlying process and model behavior further. Thus FitNesse testing is also not available. I also posted my DB dump in SOURCEFORGE as reference for it has the closest migration from Slovakia.

PackingProcess.png
PackingProcess.png (99.63 KiB) Viewed 8692 times
Features:
    1. The important new features are Inbound handling of materials receipts, put-away in empty locations, onto handling units (such as pallets), its history, detailed separation of storage area within warehouses type, scanning approach of inbound/outbound. However where they conflict too much with the core i have to drop them. First one is Replenishment where the core model introduced a new Primary Key M_Replenishment_ID that breaks and is not backward compatible. Users still have the old replenishment and can introduce a new InfoWindow or wait for MULTIMAGE to rewrite one that does not break.

2. I have yet to ascertain other assumptions that it operates according to SAP literature on WMS. Norbert Bede confirms to me of its similarity as it uses the same terminology such as Handling Unit and Empty Storage but i hope to study the code first on more features and functions. Norbert has shown me on screen as much as possible but I still require a recorded content to review. He promised to prepare it progressively as he is busy running WMS live on few large installations. MULTIMAGE has important experience of working on huge warehousing facilities which i have visited and seen very satisfied users.

MULTIMAGE users.png
MULTIMAGE users.png (555.4 KiB) Viewed 8660 times
Project Roadmap:
    3. Thus this WMS2.0, with a rough preliminary separation from core is considered pre-alpha and not for production use. As i review and write out what the code does and some of its model relevance couple with further input from MULTIMAGE, we can then ascertain how useful or fitting this is.

Help Needed/WishList:
    1. To test which data model is broken to any fields due to lost during migration.
    1.b To write anew missing or broken parts. (own Replenishment, Release from Manufacturing to Inbound).
    2. To figure out the functionality or standard way it should be done based on the code and model.
    3. To check the code and help convert SQL strings to Query model.
    4. Figuring out what the code is doing.
    5. To help writing FitNesse tests.
Those who wish to participate in anyway are welcome to write in to red1org@gmail.com
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Update today. Been here for a month in Vietnam, together with Hiep LQ, and he solved the earlier 2Pack issue and improved the ColumnSQLException.patch. Nakarat from Thailand also agreed to work together to resolve subject matter gaps. We plan to meet in Bangkok and work on it for a week from March 23-April 1.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:51 am

There has been no update from any contributors. Slovakia has not send as stated within the above. Even if they do, it is a lot of hard work to clean up the core. However Germany has sent great news that Patric Massing has perfected it for his Luxembourg cable distribution operations in accordance to the BlackPaper where core is not touched at all and all is in a separate set of plugin/s. So i suspect it is a complete rewrite. They do not have present budget for me to go over to review and publish it this year. We are preparing for next year's budget. But looking at other luxury of tasks i have, it can be slow. It all depends on the right sponsor.
red1
Site Admin

Return to iDempiere