Upgrading Java

To err is to be human, to help each other is joy. Tell your Compiere needs in your own words. Let's figure out together.

Moderator: azaharizaman

Upgrading Java

Postby mir_shajahan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:44 pm

Hai Red1,
It's seems that now a day ur very busy. Hope you have some free time to give some advice about this problem :lol:

Case Scenario ONE
I am trying to install iReport, and one of the requirement is JDK 1.4 or higher. Previously I already install JDK in my PC, and work fine for Compiere and Oracle. Even I already set the enviroment path to JDK 1.4. But when i type C:\>java -version, it shows that i am using JRE 1.3

After a long hour trouble shooting it, I decided to format my PC (frustrated) and plan to install the following application as my main use.

After installing fresh Windows XP i do:-
First - install Oracle 9i
Second - install JDK 1.4
Third - install Compiere 251d

But when i type C:\>java -version, it still show, i am using JRE 1.3

So, how could I make that, it using JDK 1.4 so the when I tyep C:\>java -version, it shows JDK 1.4

Case Scenario ONE.ONE
I just want to ask about the iReport
The instruction is very simle and straightfoward.
1. Unzip the folder copy to working directory (C:\iReport)
2. Copy tool.jar from JDK .14 and paste in iReport\lib
3. excute iReport by typing : C:\iReport>iReport.bat

But it giving me this error:-
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: it/businesslogic/ireport/gui/MainFrame

Does their a quick solution to fix it?

Thanks in advance.....

<< aMir >>
mir_shajahan

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi Amir,
Let me teach you how to fish, so that you can be full for a lifetime.
U can either use Google for these common problems, as both are Java related. Also there are specific forums for them.

Here in RED1.ORG i am trying to support issues that are peculiar specifically to Compiere that is of fundamental level and case experience.

No doubt when doing an application, we cannot escape from the whole works - A to Z, but one cannot be an experto to everyone and on everything.

I will certainly answer if the answer pops up in my head *haha* but nowadays it seems that is always a new problem, and i often solve them after some time studying it in detail, which i can only do if its part of my job. In fact my whole life i notice that you can never be a thorough expert, and it will always a new issue each day.

Now if we discuss your problem a bit. It seems illogical that the JRE can be 1.3 But then always trust the feedback, i learnt, it must be telling the truth, which means that SDK1.4 contains JRE1.3!, Check that out.

Because a formatted clean out space cannot have a memory of its old space. There is another tactic experts will tell u to use - which is an exercise of elimination. U eliminate the JRE issue by trying to do it on another clean machine. No choice u have to.

On IReport, it could be your Java issue that is causing. Again try it on the other machine. You can also read the error closly to see what its asking for, and check whether classpath is properly set, after solving the Java.

have a nice day :roll:
red1
red1
Site Admin

Thanks for the advice..

Postby mir_shajahan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:49 pm

Hai red1,
Thanks for the advice, I know that I should be asking about things that are not related to compiere in ur forum, but by my job deadline making me pushing up and down... trying want ever can be achive in short period...I do take ur advice serious and very thank full for that advice...

I also just discovered that I am just asking another stupid question..shame on me ... :cry: I should be more carefull when asking question and should know where and whom to ask for...

It's seem's that I should change my habit... NO MORE SPOON FEEDING...
:oops:

Thanks bro...

<< aMir >>
mir_shajahan

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:27 pm

Hi Amir,
Thanks for your realisation *haha*. Actually you are right that if you get spoon-feeding you will never learn faster. Another thing is that we are always in a rush, because we didn't know enough. And we will never know enough! So the best way is a planned learning approach, systematically and slowly (this is strategy from the gurus of computing) They even talked about pair-programming, extreme programming, slowing down which we don't understand, but if you analyse back all the rushing you been doing for last year, you will realise that you achieve not much and even negative value for the mistakes made. :(

So, as long as you realised and take steps to learn, you will be expert in about 6 months. :lol:

red1
red1
Site Admin

Return to Ask RED1 personally