Some general questions (Content Manager; QuickBooks)

To err is to be human, to help each other is joy. Tell your Compiere needs in your own words. Let's figure out together.

Moderator: azaharizaman

Some general questions (Content Manager; QuickBooks)

Postby Maureen » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:56 am

I have installed Compiere with Oracle and with Daffodil. I like Compiere very much. I have some ideas about how to go about setting up consulting and software development services, but first I have some questions:

1. Is there a content manager for Compiere? I would like my users to be able to use Compiere to update their website but I don't see where they can enter content.

2. Project manager/time management -- is there a project to track projects within Compiere? I would like my users to be able to enter work hours against projects so they can bill time for services.

3. I want to set up a slimmed down version of Compiere to make it a little simpler to use. I am hoping to get users who are using QuickBooks to upgrade to Compiere, but they are used to simpler interfaces and fewer options. Compiere may seem like overkill for them, but if they are distributing products via the web, or eBay, or Amazon, I think they could find Compiere to be a much better tool. Any thoughts on audience for Compiere in this regard? what I mean is, has anyone had much luck selling to smaller businesses who already use an accounting product such as QuickBOoks? Also, I could just use the QuickBooks SDK to pull out its data into csv files to import into Compiere, right?

4. Where are the pages to modify for the Compiere web system? How do I dig into that code so I can change its look and feel? Any pointers on how to include a content manager with the web site/web store?

My apologies if these questions are not in the correct forum. I have downloaded the documentation from Compiere, by the way. 884 pages!

P.S. THANK YOU FOR COMPILO!
Maureen

Postby red1 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:41 am

1) Compiere been an ERP deals with transactional and operational content. So, yes they do have Importers and Exporters for such content. Its such a long and tedious migration project (all ERP's projects are) that its best u engage experienced ppl such as Trifon on a sub-project basis.
But thats migration, and u mean what bout daily informational needs. so i m not sure what else can there be that is still in the category of an ERP System.

2) There is project costing crtieria to use in Compiere under Project Management Module, but i think its limited, but yet to me its useful since its integrated and still Open software.

3) I have heard others using Quickbooks to it. Jorg Janke himself based on some QB and spoke of it in his www.compiere.org. Check it up if its still there.
Yes, u use CSV tables to pull from QB into Compiere.

4) The source codes are there including webstore. U have to be technically competent to modify the codes.

Thank your for praising. Its gud advertisment :D
red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby Maureen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:28 pm

Thanks for your response, Red1.

I am a developer, 6 years of experience. I have written Java and C# applications.

I probably will do all the work myself. I have some ideas about a way to package Compiere so that service companies will find it useful once they outgrow QuickBooks, including adding a web interface for the functionality I plan to add.
Maureen

Postby Maureen » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 am

I'll just lurk from now on. I see my topic title was changed. That bothers me. I'm not sure why, but it does.

I posted my thread that way for a reason :)
Maureen

Postby red1 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:45 pm

Hi Maureen,
I find your queries interesting thats why i tot of sprucing up the title a bit. So that readers spot it more readily. I do occasional housecleaning to remove repetitive or unrelated queries too but i do not touch any authoring. I think titling is for better indexing. If u feel it impinges your authorship, pls tell me and i will revert, but i still suggest the topics stated in brackets.

regards
red1
red1
Site Admin

Return to Ask RED1 personally