Material Return

To err is to be human, to help each other is joy. Tell your Compiere needs in your own words. Let's figure out together.

Moderator: azaharizaman

Material Return

Postby hema » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi Red1,

on the Sales Order, there is an option for document type called material return. Is it related to product(s) being returned to the client (e.g. Garden World) from the customer?

What I understand is that after a sales order with document type = material return is processed, I must create a shipment (customer) with document type = MM Customer Return. When I generate an invoice (customer), the target document type is = AR Credit memo.

Also, say, a customer returns a product that I classified as an asset. When I process the shipment, I get the message that an asset has been created. Why should an asset be created here?
I thought that an asset is only created when its corresponding product is being sold, as I am being paid for that product. And when the asset is returned back, it is a loss for me. Am I correct?

I would be very grateful to you if you could help me understand these points mentioned above.

Thank you very much,
Hema
hema
Regular

Postby red1 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:24 am

Hi Hema,
This is something we can ask Compiere to explain further, in the support section of sf.net. I read and try to follow your logic explanation and it still begs for Compiere's version of things. What does the user manual try to say on this matter?

Its interesting about this Asset matter as in an ERP. It is definitely a subject matter i like to learn too.
red1
Site Admin

Postby hema » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:22 pm

Hi Red1,

thank you for your reply.
The material return is not mentioned in the user manual (version 2.5.2) but you can find it on the sales order window as a sales order document type.
I post a support request on source forge and let you know the result.

Thank you very much,
Hema
hema
Regular

Postby lofx » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi!!!

Dear Friends, let's see if my limited knowledge of Compiere can cast some light in this issue. Compiere, in most cases, has not a separate business logic for "negative" operations such as a return, but it is a reversal of the normal operation, specifically in accounting terms. Every time you move a product flagged as an asset, does not matter if it is in or out of your warehouse, an asset isa created in order to track that specific instance of a product. Unless, now that i come to think about it, that the document type is not set up properly. A MM Return should be based in a receipt base document type, so that the product enters the stock.
In that case, the asset should not be created.

Hope this helps in some way....................
lofx
Regular

Postby hema » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi Lofx and Red1,

Thank you for your help.

I learnt from Kathy Pink that RMA has not been implemented yet in version 2.5.2b. An asset is also created if a return is done as a negative order. The asset is put back in stock. An inventory adjustment must be carried out if we want to consider this return as a loss.

Hema
hema
Regular

Return to Ask RED1 personally