Mercurial or GIT

Just scream. We know you want to.
Forum rules
There will be no censorship here. There is no government here. There is only freedom.

Mercurial or GIT

Postby tbayen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Up to now I did not think much about this question. But yesterday in the evening I made my page about Idempiere Weekly Meeting from yesterday and thought about it for a second. :wink:

I myself are experienced with mercurial so staying with it is an easy solution for me. AFAIS there are not really many differences between mercurial and GIT. Both allow us to switch to a better development procedure (than SVN). There are many pages comparing both systems and even reading all these comparations for me seemed to be too much time that we lose for doing idempiere work.

Carlos Ruiz described the new development model with the "circle of trust" that he uses for some months. I believe in this model and I think it will bring the project further. It is a big step from the monolithical, SVN-based and committee- monitored system to a bazaar of circles.

But - and that is what I realized yesterday - *now* is the time to decide which tool is the right for the job. If we create a bazaar of circles and some circles do their own work faster and some on special areas we really need a common code repository system. And the better we do (and bigger the circles became and more circles we create) the more difficult it will become to switch later the whole growing system. Growing will begin at latest with the idempiere Release 1.0. So my opinion is: If we do not switch now we will swich never. So I decided to open this thread to let discuss *now* what is the best tool for the job.

My own opinion was they are equal. Switching costs us time for every developer (+1 for mercurial). Yesterday I heard two arguments from hengsin for GIT: Gerrit and Buckminster support (Buckminster FAQ does not mention GIT, but I believe hengsin knows what he says) (+2 for GIT). Two of the main commiters seem to be undecided (+/-0 for both sides) But please - before "polling" let us first collect pros and cons.

Or am I wrong and switching later is no big thing?!?

What do think about it?

Thomas
tbayen

Re: Mercurial or GIT

Postby red1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:33 pm

(Hm.. i was on my way to the bazaar to update Edwin Ang on the fact that i updated Fixed Assets in my own SF and he should synch within my circle when i come across your post here.)
Have you seen that Tony Snook (TPSC) also updated the chat thread with some input on tools?
Anyway (asking as an idiot who never touched (g)it, can't code easily be switched with regard to versioning system? when the time comes? I can easily myself take code from SVN, unplug it from SVN, dusting off the .svn dust, and the hg push as my own repo. So since Git is also a peerful versioning system, am i safe to assume the same? or easier?

(btw, my regrets that your citizenship papers with the official ADempiere project did not go well or got stuck somewhere. I did not have time to study the new process and might inadvertently start a new review war which nobody wants. I thought it was straight forward during my days. I am Citizen No.1 and we started with 5 citizens. We had an open sit-around 'anarchic' session the first day in Berlin among the 5 of us to decide how to expand our citizenship. I guess the country grows and you cannot have such simplicity anymore. Thus here in Bogota with Carlos Ruiz, we agreed to do away with citizenship, but respect that any voice has value and merit based on the content of the voice and not the owner of the voice.)

cheers!
red1
Site Admin

Postby tbayen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 pm

I have no experience with exchanging information between git and mercurial But I believe the tools for that are for a one-time-migration, not for daily use in a mixed project. Has anyone used them already?

(btw: Dear Mr. "Number One": Don't care about my citizenship - I am a citizen of idempiere community. I do not need a list to know that.) :-)
tbayen

Postby red1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Precisely i was attempting to answer that part of your question on 'If we do not switch now we will switch never'. So my thots are, I stay with Mercurial (pssst.. actually i am staying with SVN but please don't tell Volker, the Mercurial Master from Kempten because i pretended to go thru his whole torture tutorial smiling as if i learnt well when i know nuts) as long as i can until Lord HengSin or anyone march in with the new GIT structure and then convert to the new religion without burning any damsel as a witch. WDYT? Is such a thing possible?

From what i feel about switching SVN to Mercurial, nothing really is needed at the code or actual switch level. What was needed was at our Heads (pointing to own head) - a terrible, terrible learning curve, torture, bad words. What can be so dangerous about that?

(Of course this is assuming our present coder to peer population - 2 top coders, 1 top reviewer, the rest quite normal sane users. Then my assumption can hold. But once we have a different population - Many top coders, many more free beer drinkers, then we have a good problem. But then it won't be this soon. There is time for California).
red1
Site Admin

Postby globalqss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks Thomas, I also think is a good time to decide - later will be harder as you noticed.

In my opinion I'm with whatever the contributors prefer - for me mercurial or git is simply the tool, yes a tool hard to change in future.
Both very similar, both with advantages and disadvantages - must not be very hard to learn some new git commands.

I think it would be good to recall and review the arguments on sf adempiere forums that lead us to this decision.
When we took the decision git was behind mercurial in several important things for us.
We could re-review if the decision is still the best, or better to go with git (things have changed since we took that decision).

Just in case somebody wants to collect the arguments to lead us to a better informed decision, this was the original thread:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempie ... ic/3499390

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Adding to the parallel conversation:
(of course you are a citizen here - but I would prefer we don't talk about citizens, but about contributors, this project is based on MERITOCRACY, so citizenship is to try to overcome merit with a fake democracy, for example that one-citizen one-vote is a fake when it arrive to vote on technical matters. I was against all this citizenshit - sorry - citizenship in Berlin precisely because I saw the mechanism can be misused, what is happening now, I have also the honour to be the first citizen that ressigned to his citizenship :-D )
globalqss
Senior

Postby globalqss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 am

Proposed for discussion on next IRC meeting:
http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php ... ng20120215
globalqss
Senior

Postby globalqss » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 am

Please check related discussion about Mercurial or GIT on today's meeting:
http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php ... ng20120222

Made some advance on this during the meeting:

Code: Select all

# Installed git
sudo apt-get install git

# Installed hggit
sudo apt-get install mercurial-git

# Add hggit extension
vi ~/.hgrc

# add on the extensions section this line:
hggit = /usr/share/pyshared/hgext/git

# Download fast-export
mkdir ~/gitAdempiere
cd ~/gitAdempiere
git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/fast-export.git

# Create the local repository
mkdir local-idempiere-git
cd local-idempiere-git
git init

# Import mercurial idempiere here
../fast-export/hg-fast-export.sh -r ~/hgAdempiere/idempiere

# Checkout the development branch
git checkout development

Sizes:
Mercurial: 1.458.476 Kb
GIT: 1.219.444 Kb

Interesting page showing the equivalent commands:
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Git_vs_Mercurial

Installed git plugin for eclipse - made the full eclipse configuration and it worked fine.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby emmie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 am

Hi all!
Well, my 2 ctvs about that :-)
From my point of view, git is more richer than hg. It has many useful features "out of box" (without needed for install any extension), is more intuitive and has a simple and powerfull command line and GUI (just needed an extra package)

One more thing about git/eclipse/gerrit: http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/02/eclipse-gerrit

Finally, this is an excelent book of git: http://progit.org/ and a quick reference: http://gitref.org/

Just for de record, +1 for git ;-)

Emiliano Pereyra
emmie

Return to Rants Allowed