Future of IDEMPIERE

Just scream. We know you want to.
Forum rules
There will be no censorship here. There is no government here. There is only freedom.

Re: Future of IDEMPIERE

Postby globalqss » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:08 am

Hi community, some good news:

http://demo.idempiere.com was updated with big improvements.
Please help with testing and reporting issues.

There are some interesting improvements that I won't announce but leave to you to discover them :-) [or maybe you already know if you follow jira and idempiere-dev commits]

The installer was fixed by Heng Sin and now it can be downloaded and used:
see http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php ... Installers

The not-good news is that webstore is broken again:
https://demo.idempiere.com:8443/wstore/index.jsp
sounds like a regression problem as this was fixed before.
Keep tuned for more news. First preview release is close.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby ayaz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm

I am planning to learn iDempiere :

- How to build source with Eclipse
- How to build the system idempiere ( in Adempiere we were using RUN_Build)
- Is there a release for iDempiere ?
- How to apply new updates from iDempiere
- Is the HRM integrated?
- Is the Fixed Assets ( improved by Red1) integrated ?
- How to customize iDempiere

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ayaz
ayaz

Postby red1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:22 pm

If you research on the above questions, they are covered elsewhere in our forums.
1,2. Recent updates from Carlos/HengSin and others are made openly in their respective wikis and blogs.
3. Heng Sin said probably mid of the year. Carlos said probably earlier. I say "Hasta la vista, baby" :)
4. No. But i hear some projects out there are or have developed such an extension but did not contribute to brand themselves into our project.
5. Yes, but i prefer it as a package separate from the core. You can refer to my SF link http://sf.net/p/red1
6. No issue as there are many ways - the dirty way (hiding customizations) or the clean way.
red1
Site Admin

Postby globalqss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Answering Azzam:
> - How to build source with Eclipse
> - How to build the system idempiere ( in Adempiere we were using RUN_Build)
> - Is there a release for iDempiere ?

http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php/IDempiere

> - How to apply new updates from iDempiere

Pending document - at this moment there is not a patches strategy as we used on Adempiere

> - Is the HRM integrated?

Pending to be integrated as external bundle

> - Is the Fixed Assets ( improved by Red1) integrated ?

Pending to solve issues about romanian lists, terms, and columns - and receive it as a patch for iDempiere

> - How to customize iDempiere

Similar to Adempiere, please check
http://kenai.com/projects/hengsin/pages ... tReference

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby azzamahmad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 am

Thanks Ayaz for the questions .

Carlos & Red1 : Thanks for the reply .

I can contribute here in functional testing for core modules. If there is a test plan, it will help. But, I will disturbe you in my silly questions until I am able to start iDempiere running on my PC. Be patient to me :)

Have a Good Day :D

Best Regards,

Azzam
azzamahmad

Postby kdu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi Red1 and Carlos,

Thanks for your great work. I have a question:

Is there a roadmap of Idempiere?

I would like to see more details about the future functions of iDempiere, eg. production, pos, webstore.

I am currently using 354, and going to update to 360. The main reason that I use Adempere is the production. As a daily user, I could give some feedback about the user experiences of existing system. And maybe some suggest features.

Now I am using several systems in Company and factory:
E-commerce system - from local chinese version, which is perfect but no multi-languge version.
Production scheduling - Excel version integrated with AD354 modified by ourself from: www.production-scheduling.com
Production - Adempiere354 with some pain
CRM - insightly because great integrate with email system.
We are considering POS, but do not want another system again.

So it would be great if we know the future function of iDempiere. Maybe there is already somewhere? but I didn't find it.

Thanks

Kdu
kdu

Postby red1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 pm

First i like to point to a nice article written comparing between the two forks - http://ariefwn.tumblr.com/post/16956098 ... -adempiere

To answer KDU (thanks for putting your needs here for us to aim at also), I am putting my own roadmap for 2012 to support iDempiere project - http://sourceforge.net/projects/red1/

Let me also iterate again the project management which is distributed and this forum here is only a watering hole. We are trying to adopt Linus concept of project management. There is no citizenship here. Anyone can come and go, or come for just a second and never come again. Every visiting troll until a full time developer or admin here makes up the eco-system. No one has ever been turned away here.

It will seem anarchic and chaotic but i recommend you to read alot of literature on this such as 'The Cathedral and The Bazaar' and the "The Magic Cauldron" by the same Eric Raymond - founder of the Open Source Initiative.

May you and me remain free as in freedom.
red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby kdu » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks, Red1, it is very helpful.

KDU
kdu

Postby red1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Now in Sao Paulo, last night dinner i had a long talk with Hilario Fochi and Ricardo Santana, the local major contributors to Brazilian Localization. They have the same concern about roadmap that they would like to fit in - as they have produced a major refactoring of taxation in Brazil (which they believed is one of the highest and craziest in the world), and do not wish their instances to break every-time the law changes.

Thus they wish it to be compatible with everyone else particularly LCO 'CarlosRuiz', and should be compatible to Compiere, ADempiere or iDempiere as a plugin. Ricardo will be showing me his code and submission to Brazilian public trunk.

I have advised them to try to attend the upcoming chat session every Wednesday 8am Bogota time (11am Sao Paulo) with Carlos and Heng Sin on the roadmap of such work to be more aligned and assured of lowest future maintenance. However this Wednesday is their conference and i am due to have a chat with them almost the same time. So perhaps we will have the chat live with everyone in the room, and the smartest persons in the 'virtual' room!.
red1
Site Admin

Postby azzamahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Red1 ,

It is a good idea to have an IRC meeting every wednesday. Unfortunately today I have to go the dentist. So, I will not disturbe in my questions about costing, fixed assets, roadmap...etc :D

Have a successful meeting .

Best Regards,

Azzam
azzamahmad

Postby syzuhdi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,
When do you plan to release iDempiere for production ? :P

Thanks.
syzuhdi

Postby globalqss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Syzuhdi,

We're estimating 3~6 months to make ready for production release.

But, it's always a matter of scope, it could be that the functionalities you need are complete and working, so, it's more like testing and giving us feedback about.

It's easy, we set up http://demo.idempiere.com for you to play with this pre-release.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby red1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I am now in Paris and today i am going to Berlin, thanks to Kai who is hosting me there for some days. I hope to discuss with Kai on my progress in discussions with the community worldwide, both online and face to face. I still hope i can talk to Norbert, the present Chair of ADempiere.eV on what he is actually thinking at the moment.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

After another trip to Brazil last month, I am back sound and safe in Malaysia and have upgraded a Windows Installer that easily and completely install iDempiere on a fresh Windows machine viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1162.
This marks a small but important successful milestone that iDempiere 1.0 is ready for production release very soon as well as the community is getting what it wanted - easily and completely functioning backward compatible stable release of the best ADempiere can be.
On the ADempiere political front however it has not changed. Public opinion is brushed aside with 'institutional jargon', any nominations for citizens who are pro-iDempiere are rejected, mention of 'iDempiere' is demonised in ADempiere forums. Yes, we now live in North Korea. Do not take my word for it. Try asking something important there.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm

The final word, from the community, the active one:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1519&p=8111#p8111
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 am

Carlos Ruiz has made a final ADempiere361 update to his bitbucket repository with Fixed Assets and Light Manufacturing as he has done so for iDempiere (ADempiere on OSGi).
You can take the final push here https://bitbucket.org/CarlosRuiz_global ... /downloads
According to him, there will not be further feature additions and only maintained with fixing of bugs to the present.

Thus ADempiere361 and what more 370 lacks the other enhancements we see in IDempiere Features.

However iDempiere does not have LCO or Localization Colombia as it exists as a major customization.jar outside ADempiere as an add-on. That has to be converted to, according to Ruiz, about 3 plugins within a product feature for the OSGi stack. I will try to take this on and assist him in my next task next month. With that done, then it can be a basis for all others to complete their localizations or customizations and be more certain of a production 1.0 release soon.

I also done a small customization plugin sample based on Openbravo POS integration for anyone who likes to try first.
red1
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Rants Allowed