Easy Windows Installer for iDempiere

What Trunk or Branches to use and mix? Which is the Official version? How to survive growth?
Forum rules
This forum is personally pruned to avoid redundant posts. Related topics are moved to the same sub-forum. Language will be corrected for readability.

Easy Windows Installer for iDempiere

Postby red1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am

Installerfull.jpg
Installerfull.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 23321 times

As announced few places, i am making a more titled posting here and stick it up for everyone to read.

The Windows Installer is working OK as tested on my 2 windows computers which one is a completely fresh Windows 7 and it can install Java6, PG8.3 and iDempiere0.9.b (pending 1.0 release anytime soon).

You can read a complete guide. Thanks to our sponsor, Zeeshan under SYSNOVA, from Bangladesh, a top free open source software user and IT services company in our community.

Installer version reference:
source-code repository: http://bitbucket.org/idempiere/idempiere)
latest commit: Revision 9a1a8397310a - June 9, 2012
last migration script: 847_FillNewUUIDs.sql - June 8, 2012
NSIS resource - http://svn.code.sf.net/p/red1/small/tru ... tallerWORK
red1
Site Admin

Re: Easy Windows Installer for iDempiere

Postby red1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks to Dirk's testing and feedback, the problem with idempiere-server.bat AjaxUI appearing is due to dummy files that begins with ._
Delete those files and the server should run OK, and you can get localhost:8080/webui to see the Ajax UI.

AFTER INSTALLATION, GO TO A DOS TERMINAL WINDOW, CD TO YOUR IDEMPIERE FOLDER AND TYPE:

Code: Select all
del ._*.* /s /f /q

In my future production release i will see to it that such files are not accidentally created due to my Mac handling of the source-files, it automatically made Mac versions and rename them with such prefix.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 pm

That problem is tested solved in this updated Installer. It is saved as version 'c' but the installation still shows 'b'. Just take note.

Enjoy.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:56 am

SYSNOVA is sponsoring a fresh update of the installer with the latest enhancements done by our team under Carlos Ruiz review and this time the installer will be self upgradable! with the following specifications:

1. If previous iDempiere exists option to upgrade becomes active

2. Check for changes in jira tracker, if so, then download migration scripts and changed plugins

3. Backup present Database as ExpDat.dmp with timesstamp jar

4. Make a copy of iDempiere home to iDempiere<timestamp>

5. Add or Replace new plugins in plugins folder

6. Replace old migration scripts with new migration scripts.

7. RUN build.xml for migration scripts

B1. After upgrading, on installer launch, option to revert to previous iDempiere is active

B2. Delete present iDempiere home

B3. Rename iDempiereHome<timestamp> to present iDempiereHome

B4. DBRestore from its ExpDat.dmp

Note. Migration scripts and data will be within same iDempiereHome structure for convenience.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 am

Hi Guys,
I am trying to make a proper Windows installer for iDempiere but up to now i can only make a 'migration scripts included ExpDat dmp restorer' instead of ImportiDempiere dmp.

I wonder if we can just make a trial release with a core iDempiere seed so i can formalise an 'official' version release and then create an upgrader that just execute place the patches and apply the migration scripts. Btw, will we still be using customization and pathes jars? Or changes are done directly into 'official' plugins? This is a 'stupid' question about versioning, but i reckon that eventually could be done with the OSGi versioning of plugins via update-site as in http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_cr ... .xml%29%3F.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Carlos replied in email:
Hi Redhuan, I want to prepare a release soon - before we got to the migration script numbered 1000 - specially to start using four numbers as prefix.

I want to include in this first release the master-detail improvements that Heng Sin is making progress, so probably I'll try release after that.

But - apart from such work that is still uncertain - what is really recommended for the work you're moving ahead (installer/updater) is to create a mechanism that apply migration scripts automatically - this is becoming easier now with the registration on the table, but still the scripts for windows/unix+oracle/postgresql are required.

I would recommend moving on the development of such scripts.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Now the Upgrader is almost done. When run it will go online and look for a latest zip file containing the patch/migration scripts and ask to download to the user local Windows machine.

newChanges.png
newChanges.png (29.92 KiB) Viewed 22525 times

When allowed, it will do so into the download folder. Then a further question to the user to allow extracting the zip file into the migration folder.

ExtractScripts.png
ExtractScripts.png (21.93 KiB) Viewed 22525 times

loadedScripts.png
loadedScripts.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 22525 times

From there what is left is to run the build.xml (this is pending as i try to make it more conveniently preset or automatically run during the upgrade. This will include making a backup of the DB first. I will also try a restore if this upgrade is not satisfactory).

The Upgrader also allows redownloading of the zip. It will detect any change in the Date Last Modified of the file. At the moment i manage the new scripts from iDempiere project into my SF.net/red1 Files section as http://sourceforge.net/projects/red1/files/Monthly/. They will be periodically updated on monthly basis for more assured managing of the software by end users. (Those who missed months can download them at the same link manually and apply them manually too).

NoChanges.png
NoChanges.png (18.66 KiB) Viewed 22525 times

I am also changing and updating the present Installer at the same time to include this upgrader as well as the Apache Ant application that is needed to run the migration build.xml. It is simply called UpgradeAssistant

newUpgrader.png
newUpgrader.png (27.6 KiB) Viewed 22525 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:22 am

UpgradeAssist.png
UpgradeAssist.png (148.17 KiB) Viewed 22484 times

You can download the whole new Installer that comes with the UpgradeAssistant and a PDF guide (old);

or just the PDF guide (new) here for a peek review first;

or just the UpgradeAssistant with ApacheAnt and Migration preset folder. You have to set path to ApacheAnt/bin manually.

I have changed the upgrade strategy to monthly. The installer is now more compressed at 300Mb in size even though it includes the extra baggage above.

Please forward me any issues while using it so that i can further improve it. You can give feedback in this forum thread below here.

p/s while struggling to upload the main Installer 300Mb size up the virtual machine line in my MacBook i suddenly got an insight this morning how to make life easy for everyone particularly those who use ADempiere 361. I am thinking of incorporating into the Upgrade Assistant an option (serial fashion) this way:
1. (First time users) Do you want to get changes since last official release? Yes/No
3. (For up to date users) Do you want to get changes for this month? Yes/No

At the moment we have yet to have an official release thus we are still at ADempiere361 for last 'official' version. Thus if you are to run this iDempiereInstaller-0.9.d plus UpgradeAssistant and you are at ADempiere361 then you answer Yes to (1) and (2) will not appear.
If you are already used the old installer 0.9.c, run the 0.9.d, then you apply manually the migration scripts, then use the UpgradeAssistant for subsequent months, answering No to (1) and Yes to (2).
This should cover ALL cases. I will update the UpgradeAssistant and upload again. Do tell me what you think and offer your better suggestion.

If you make a mistake in the option above it is OK, just run the Assistant again choosing the right option and it will overwrite the last migration scripts folder. The spot where you must be careful is when you run 'ANT' in the migration folder. Always make sure you backup your old instance if you are an old user.
red1
Site Admin

Postby FJVR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 am

Hello Redhuan,

I have tested and report as you suggested in the following link: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=es&fromgroups=#!topic/idempiere/rOY5LwlvP3o
Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and I would like to commend you for your hard work.

The report (in PDF) can be found at this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_aX8GpCqwHcm52WWswby15dzQ/edit

The logs corresponding to the Importing of Initial Data can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_aX8GpCqwHLUdtMUlta1ZTMzQ/edit

The log from which the excerpt comes from can be found here: https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/0B7_aX8GpCqwHdEUxS1UzRnB6OUk

Regards,
FJVR
FJVR

Postby red1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks FJVR and a big welcome hug to you from my very warm and tropical shack here!
Firstly i did not expect such a well done feedback. I am personally moved. :)
Well, you detected the same things I detected and it is really an important double confirmation that i must do something about it, which i been doing since last night.

Heng Sin in the chatroom last night told me it is certainly a migration script that gave the 'positive error' on the browser and i did as https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... nhURARLJoI (but did not work so i asked there again for some help)

Anyway what i am doing now is to throw away everything (the binaries), download from scratch and try again. Once it worked i will upload 0.9.e and then edit the UpgradeAssistant.pdf. Hope to do so within the day.

We should meet up for a drink sometime. :)

red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am

Updated a new Installer 0.9.e.

This installer is new because it takes adempiere_pg.jar and then do Upgrade with the online migration scripts zip. Previously i do my own updated ExpDat.dmp. Now it is back to original way of RUN_ImportiDempiere.bat during installation.

This still has the Positive X error in DB. I will try to debug it and it has nothing to do with the installer.
red1
Site Admin

Postby FJVR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 am

Notapor red1 » Dom Oct 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks FJVR and a big welcome hug to you from my very warm and tropical shack here!
Firstly i did not expect such a well done feedback. I am personally moved.

>> It is an honor to be of service. I myself am very grateful for the strength of the movement you have helped to build.

Heng Sin in the chatroom last night told me it is certainly a migration script that gave the 'positive error' on the browser and i did as https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... nhURARLJoI (but did not work so i asked there again for some help)

>> I am suspicious of the following :
1. The Postgres 8.3 that comes with the installation (I think you shared same suspicious for you said you would change the binaries) :
2. The Java version.

Im going to try to un-install and installl these two components before running the installer.

>> Should have a drink some time.

Some W.I.N.E aged to 1.5.15 or maybe some free brewskies! :lol:

Cheers,
FJVR

Postby red1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Somehow Carlos Ruiz's own database does not have this X error and he gave me his copy to use and i uploaded as 0.9.f, this time taking the latest as of October 29th. Thus you need not use Upgrade Assistant until end November.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Things really happen fast. Today we have the official alpha release of iDempiere at 1.0.a. So i upgraded the installer here http://t.co/m5yfdLr7
red1
Site Admin

Postby sugarapsa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi!
Thanks for your work. It's really very very very nice to have an automatic installer and updater!

But I am to report some error. Sorry if it is the wrong place to reort that, but I followed the invitation in \idempiere\1st.readme.txt
So, after I run UpgradeAssistant and then ANT, I look into psql.log and notice this line(s):

psql:C:/iDempiere/migration/201302081954_IDEMPIERE-621_altercolumn.sql:121: ERROR: syntax error at or near "with recursive"
LINE 1: with recursive depv(relname, viewoid, depth) as ( select di...
^
QUERY: with recursive depv(relname, viewoid, depth) as ( select distinct a.relname, a.oid, 1 from pg_class a, pg_depend b, pg_depend c, pg_class d, pg_attribute e where a.oid = b.refobjid and b.objid = c.objid and b.refobjid <> c.refobjid and b.deptype = 'n' and c.refobjid = d.oid and d.relname = lower( $1 ) and d.relkind = 'r' and d.oid = e.attrelid and e.attname = lower( $2 ) and c.refobjsubid = e.attnum and a.relkind = 'v' union all select distinct dependee.relname, dependee.oid, depv.depth+1 from pg_depend join pg_rewrite on pg_depend.objid = pg_rewrite.oid join pg_class as dependee on pg_rewrite.ev_class = dependee.oid join pg_class as dependent on pg_depend.refobjid = dependent.oid join pg_attribute ON pg_depend.refobjid = pg_attribute.attrelid and pg_depend.refobjsubid = pg_attribute.attnum and pg_attribute.attnum > 0 join depv on dependent.relname = depv.relname ) select relname, viewoid, max(depth) from depv group by relname, viewoid order by 3 desc
CONTEXT: SQL statement in PL/PgSQL function "altercolumn" near line 56
register_migration_script
--------------------------------------------------------------------
201302081954_IDEMPIERE-621_altercolumn.sql successfully registered
(1 row)

Thanks again, wish you luck with your visit to Russia.
Stanislav
sugarapsa

Postby globalqss » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am

Hi Stanislav - which postgres version are you using?

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Return to Building ADempiere