Curent status about New GUI framework for Adempiere

What Trunk or Branches to use and mix? Which is the Official version? How to survive growth?
Forum rules
This forum is personally pruned to avoid redundant posts. Related topics are moved to the same sub-forum. Language will be corrected for readability.

Curent status about New GUI framework for Adempiere

Postby smartjsp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone.

Having seen some GWT coding from redhuan and some ZK6 coding from Hen sin Low, I am wondering:

1. Are you guys performing POC´s about it ? or
2. is there any decision already in place about our new UI framework for newer versions of adempiere/idempiere ?

Are you still receiving suggestions about UI frameworks ?

Regards,

Pedro Rozo-
smartjsp

Re: Curent status about New GUI framework for Adempiere

Postby red1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:30 pm

I been updating openly in the forum here, so just stay tuned.
red1
Site Admin

Postby globalqss » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:09 am

Pedro,

> Are you still receiving suggestions about UI frameworks ?

Suggestions are always welcome, as well as sponsorship.

ZK6 porting is a need to keep up to date with latest zk enhancements - and is being sponsored.

GWT work is exploring new possibilities - and is being sponsored too.

Anybody is free to explore or sponsor exploration on other tools, and I'm sure that can make modularization of the UI even better.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Re: Current status about New GUI framework for Adempiere

Postby smartjsp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 am

Carlos

umm... still this topic is not clear to me, zk6 and gwt initiatives at the same time, unless they are just POC... look to me like duplicated effort for such a complex UI that we have ....

If both sponsors are interested in different things I understand .. but what is the point to work in two differents GUI front ends at this moment .. what is really our vision for the main UI in the future, in that way newcomers like me can try to align with your efforts ?

Regards,

Pedro Rozo
smartjsp

Postby hengsin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Pedro,

Zk will remain as the main UI for quite some time. I don't know the exact status of the GWT client development ( I'm not involved ) but I believe it is still pretty far from production ready.

Also, this is an opensource project and everyone is free to start his/her own initiative, the new GWT client development is just one of them.

Regards,
Low
hengsin

Postby smartjsp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks for the Clarification Low. that is precisely what I was looking for . our direction for production environments in the short term .... I agree it is good to explore and perhaps build more accesories around the core product .. but I just want to be sure that I am sync with you guys before starting new enhancements extensions and so on

Pedro
smartjsp

Postby red1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:20 am

It is both challenging as well as interesting to observe the conflict of choices as technology move too fast in their respective fronts. My preference will be if a particular alternative already has a powerful gravity of content and community behind it, most likely spurred by some starting but comprehensive tutorial-friendly content, for example http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/artic ... cture.html demonstrates a good reference for newbies to pick up on.

About GWT in iDempiere, Heng Sin is right that it is far from production as right now i am putting up the code for WorkFlow panels which are missing (together with Process menus). I find it very engaging and interesting to master new stuff and i welcome anyone to join in. All progress i have uploaded to my repo.

If you are interested to work on exactly my area of concern i.e. GWT, i be happy to give a session of explanation on its progress and gaps at our next irc session or if you prefer a skype session.
red1
Site Admin

Return to Building ADempiere