How is the Contribution process

What Trunk or Branches to use and mix? Which is the Official version? How to survive growth?
Forum rules
This forum is personally pruned to avoid redundant posts. Related topics are moved to the same sub-forum. Language will be corrected for readability.

How is the Contribution process

Postby smartjsp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:02 am

Hi eveyone,

Following the open source spirit and after an interresting development, testing and documentation effort we have created an cool contribution to enhance the flexibility of the finantial reports, it has been created as a adempiere extension (isolated eclipse project) with some configuration changes required in the Active Dictionary (also documented step by step). We have tested with adempiere 3.6.1

My question is:

1. how is the current process to publish this king of contribution to the adempiere transition /idempiere ?
2. do you guys have a mercurial repo where we can clone thie eclipse project
3. who receives this contribution in this case

Regards,

Pedro Rozo.
smartjsp

Re: How is the Contribution process

Postby globalqss » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:17 am

Pedro, what we have found easier with bitbucket is:

* fork the intended branch for the contribution [1]
* open a jira ticket describing the contribution
* commit in your forked repository
* issue a pull request

[1] Intended branch for the contribution:
iDempiere -> https://bitbucket.org/idempiere/idempiere
ADempiere transition version -> https://bitbucket.org/CarlosRuiz_globalqss/adempiere361

You can see how Dirk (a42niem) is managing this way on transition:
https://bitbucket.org/CarlosRuiz_global ... l-requests

And Heng Sin is managing same way on iDempiere:
https://bitbucket.org/idempiere/idempie ... s#accepted

I'll be glad to peer review your contributions, thanks for the offer.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby smartjsp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Carlos

Thanks for your quick reply, having in mind that we designed this functionality (financial report enhancements) as an Adempeire extension (isolated module) I have created a new mercurial repo in Bitbucket for that purpuse first. In that way you can review the code, build and deploy it as an optional module to any current adempiere implementation first.

Then If you guys review it and give us the approval we can fork the current adempiere_transition repo, and we will push our changes, rigth ?

I will also publish a release doc explaining the scope of this contribution and an installation process step by step during the day,

BTW:Could you confirm to us which permisssion/privileges have you assigned to our bitbucket user in your mercurial repos (Idempiere & Adempiere transition ?

Regards,

Pedro Rozo
smartjsp

Postby red1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I think there is no concern of what is outside your own repo - thus we need not ask for the permission from another's repo. Just work on your own and publish. It is then up to a famous repo (in this case CarlosRuiz's or HengSin's) to pull from you.

Am i correct in such an assumption?
(I am moving this thread to 'Building ADempiere', so if you cant find it here, find it there).
red1
Site Admin

Postby globalqss » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am

Hi Pedro, no approval required to fork idempiere or adempiere_transition repositories.

DVCS are intended for that
http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/ ... github-995

It is collaborative environment, you maintain your own repo and share with others - if you're interested that your contributions are pushed to the "main" repo then you issue pull requests, or patches.

Please notice that "main" repo here is something unofficially agreed by developers - it is just a convention to say that some releases are taken from there, and also you're free to create your own releases - under your name - if you consider it worthy.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby red1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am

(Maybe off-topic so i will apply self-censorship if anyone says so). I must say this is quite a paradigm shift and an interesting one. It is also something that i always rant, i mean evangelize about. It helps accelerates your own branding, which FOSS is all about - self-branding to the top of the mountain. Because in open space you cannot really sell or own anything but your content determines some Google gravity and thus yourself as originator of that content. But people get confused about been rich first not famous first - wrongly thinking that if you focus on making money you will (you won't actually if you think about it Zen-wise), and that been famous won't make you rich (you have a better chance if you are more famous than now).

Openbravo POS attracts alot of Google gravity and many are competing for it. When i first published my work, it attracts a number of inquiries and many took note of my tutorial PDF, even from the other side :).

My part or name also get mentioned in inquiries to Pedro SMARTJSP's contribution here. But i am perplexed why Pedro answered Mario's question with "do your homework" that sounded a bit rude (politically incorrect) :)

I hope its PDF comes out soon, or if it can come out first in the wiki, i can help edit it. I am famous for my writing style. :)
red1
Site Admin

Return to Building ADempiere