OpenBravo POS into ADempiere

What Trunk or Branches to use and mix? Which is the Official version? How to survive growth?
Forum rules
This forum is personally pruned to avoid redundant posts. Related topics are moved to the same sub-forum. Language will be corrected for readability.

OpenBravo POS into ADempiere

Postby red1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 am

ANNOUNCEMENT - THE OPENBRAVOPOS GUIDE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM SF/ADEMPIERE. IT IS NOW IN OUR UNDERGROUND BUNKER HERE.

(For FAQs, if you have any questions on this sub-project, do refer to another thread here. Any questions asked here will be rephrased there. Thank you for your support.)

This is referring to another thread discussing about which POS, and since i have done the wonderful framework for testing JavaPOS based on UISpec4J and Fitnesse, i am going to take a look at how to tackle the big task of integrating OpenBravo POS (formerly TinaPOS) into iDempiere/361.

I have begun reading the online literature such as http://wiki.openbravo.com/wiki/Openbrav ... ntegration and downloaded the OB POS (v2.3). I have also downloaded the 3E webservice branch in our SVN started by some friends in Poland some years back and bridged substantially by Carlos to follow the OB POS integration plan. It is being referred to by the CookBook in a tutorial on how to use web services but not to OB POS.

I am breaking the task into two main areas: 1. Setting up the OB POS and reviewing with the QA framework tools i been using, 2. Continuing the 3E webservices interface for the POS and exploring a new QA tool for testing the service. (post-note: It seems that later below i have set to use the easier and asynchronous ActiveMQ approach)

There can also be an alternative strategy to integration. Which is to be more conservative by using 2 way replication in batch mode and using the Import loaders. I am also thinking of making variations of our JavaPOS such as switching it to Standard Sales Order in its DocType so that its lighter and faster rather than process all 4 documents for each transaction. It can then export its SOs to the central server for import which resolves all the 4 doctypes and do inventory and accts posting. The center then distribute back fresh inventory and pricing figures. This can be done overnight and free the branch clients from any outage for been hooked up online. There is also a good suggestion from Dellph who use POS alot in Cebu and Mindanao to be free from mouse and touchscreen device due to the higher maintenance cost of hardware. So now, it depends on which itch is more fun to scratch. WDYT?
red1
Site Admin

Re: OpenBravo POS into ADempiere

Postby red1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:21 am

The basic work of integration seems laid out already by Carlos Ruiz in 3E Webservices branch. He has implemented some basic classes as explained in OpenBravo site above.

I have downloaded latest OB POS (v2.3) and able to run it very easily from its start.sh. In the sourcecode this calls com.openbravo.pos.forms.StartPOS. It has a main method and can be run from Eclipse. Thus we can start with a UISpec4J handshake.

I have committed the code in a separate branch in SVN/branches/openbravoPOS for the testing work. Some code review is also done. Starting with translating the Spanish terminology within.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 am

In playing around with it, i capture some screenshots to give an idea how OB POS behave. It is not a long learning curve (the = sign means Payment, in case you wonder how to pay the order). I run it with default Derby database and it does persist as the previous order remains when i resumed the POS after shutting down.
Here is the POS order been made out. I defined the two products from scratch first in the Std Product Category.

SalesOrder.png
SalesOrder.png (43.48 KiB) Viewed 15015 times

You can pay in multi-tender mode such as Cash, Check, Card and others.

Paying.png
Paying.png (111.35 KiB) Viewed 15015 times

During payment, you can split the bill to different invoice or patrons.

Splitpayment.png
Splitpayment.png (34.66 KiB) Viewed 15015 times

When recalling the payment, you can view the receipt and think of a refund or part or all of it. The example below I tested with the multi mode of tender.

Receipt.png
Receipt.png (44.34 KiB) Viewed 15015 times

The only poor thing seem so far is the Tickets history which does not give much clue of which order we are looking at (as compared with our JavaPOS which is more useful for restaurant pending orders). It is not difficult to eventually modify it.

Tickets.png
Tickets.png (14.68 KiB) Viewed 15015 times

So in one sentence, OB POS is very powerful for integration into iDempiere. Further more it is mostly integrated to OpenBravo which is a descendant from Compiere as we are too.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 am

To enable the buttons to appear in the Maintenance menu which handle synchronisation with the backend ERP, we have to modify the MenuRoot properties in Resources. Just under the line //Deprecated options were 3 more lines commented out with //. Just removed those 3 markers before the setting lines and this menu group shall appear.

MenuRoot.png
MenuRoot.png (142.68 KiB) Viewed 14949 times

POSSynch.png
POSSynch.png (79.36 KiB) Viewed 14949 times

Now what is left is to prepare the 3E Webservices module that has CarlosRuiz startup for OB POS integration. That requires further debugging and completion of the module. Will update this in a few days.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 am

Here is the proof of concept using ActiveMQ instead to synch OpenBravo POS Orders to XML message for ADempiere backend to process as an Import Order.

First some order were made and the Order Synchronization button was pressed. For a single order we have acknowledgement that it is been processed into the message queue.

OBPOS1.png
OBPOS1.png (14.34 KiB) Viewed 14910 times

OBPOS2.png
OBPOS2.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 14910 times

Here one order is indicated in the Information panel. Testing with more orders at one go gave a confirmation that they were processed and the qty count was 2 when 2 orders were made before synching.

When the button is pressed again, it shows that the POS Orders have been processed and no longer outstanding for synchronizing.

OBPOS3.png
OBPOS3.png (14.08 KiB) Viewed 14910 times

Below is the sample XML message received from an ActiveMQ receiver.

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" ?><entityDetail><type>I_Order</type><detail><DocTypeName>POS Order</DocTypeName><DocumentNo>7</DocumentNo><DateOrdered>Tue Aug 30 05:47:06 MYT 2011</DateOrdered></detail></entityDetail>

The reason why i am choosing ActiveMQ messaging service over web services is due to the complexity of the later over the former. ActiveMQ also allow more robust handling of events as the POS or ERP can be offline as long as the MQ service is online which is very light and convenient. The object passing in XML format is also more easier to handle and allow further anticipated scalability of integration.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:29 pm

I have spent some weeks studying the issues and the code involved and thus came to the conclusion that we can reuse the present OB POS helper classes but switch the final commit of messages as an ActiveMQ connection. Both ways we be reusing the Synch modules from OB POS framework of v2.2 but deprecated in 2.3. This is even more important that we use the least intrusive messaging protocol which ActiveMQ is. Future releases of both iDempiere and OpenBravo POS would then pose a minimal maintenance issue.

The ERP side will be implemented in ModelValidator for the Products, Storage, BPartners and Pricing tables. The URL can be set in a SystemConfig i.e. http://queueserver:61613/Products
The POS side will be set via its openbravo.properties. i.e. http://queueserver:61613/ExternalSales
The OB POS XML writing will use constant strings from ADempiere model to ensure best practice review and maintenance.

The source of OB POS is committed to a new branch: SVN/POS_ActiveMQ
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm

The Queue is now compliant with I_Order for successful process into Sales Order. The properties setting in OpenBravo are extended to be :
<entry key="host">localhost</entry>
<entry key="port">61613</entry>
<entry key="queue">/queue/test</entry>
<entry key="id">11</entry>
<entry key="org">11</entry>
<entry key="pos">100</entry>
<entry key="user">test</entry>

The user value will be set to SalesRepresentative in the Order. The code is committed to above link. The ImportQueue2AD reads the queue and build the I_Order table. This java code is committed at SVN/branches/FitnesseOBpos. Later it will be introduced as a Process in ADempiere menu which will allow setting of params such as ActiveMQ url, whether to acknowledge the queue and consumed it, and view the no of records counted.

Another process will be created to export out data for the POSes, such as for Products, Storage, Pricings and Customer list. Params will determine which category or filter of info is exported for sales at those POSes.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Here is a test for a OpenBravo POS order that has two orderlines which output as 2 XML nodes:
<?xml version="1.0" ?><entityDetail><type>I_Order</type><detail><DocTypeName>POS Order</DocTypeName><AD_Client_ID>11</AD_Client_ID><AD_Org_ID>11</AD_Org_ID><DocumentNo>019</DocumentNo><DateOrdered>2011-09-01</DateOrdered><ProductValue>Hoe</ProductValue><QtyOrdered>1.0</QtyOrdered><PriceActual>16.0</PriceActual><C_Tax_ID>001</C_Tax_ID></detail><detail><DocTypeName>POS Order</DocTypeName><AD_Client_ID>11</AD_Client_ID><AD_Org_ID>11</AD_Org_ID><DocumentNo>019</DocumentNo><DateOrdered>2011-09-01</DateOrdered><ProductValue>Hoe</ProductValue><QtyOrdered>2.0</QtyOrdered><PriceActual>16.0</PriceActual><C_Tax_ID>001</C_Tax_ID></detail></entityDetail>

After running ImportQueue2AD, the Import Order window has 2 records which gets imported by clicking on the process button:

Import1.png
Import1.png (22.88 KiB) Viewed 14854 times

You can see that the ImportOrder process matches the two Orderlines into a single Order. The Import Order process also resolved the associated column values:

Import2.png
Import2.png (52.78 KiB) Viewed 14854 times

The Sales Order window showed the newly imported Order where both the OrderLines are correctly placed.

Import3.png
Import3.png (54.05 KiB) Viewed 14854 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 pm

For the return trip (to export out Product records for OpenBravo POS), I created an ADempiere process, Export2Queue with parameters set to:

Export2Queue.png
Export2Queue.png (22.89 KiB) Viewed 14827 times

and that exported out:
<?xml version="1.0" ?><entityDetail><type>M_Product</type><detail><ProductName>Grass Seed Container</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>125</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>80</PriceList><PriceLimit>72</PriceLimit></detail><detail><ProductName>Travel cost</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>131</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>50</PriceList><PriceLimit>50</PriceLimit></detail><detail><ProductName>Mary Consultant</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>132</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>100</PriceList><PriceLimit>80</PriceLimit></detail><detail><ProductName>TShirt - Red Large</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>147</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>15</PriceList><PriceLimit>15</PriceLimit></detail><detail><ProductName>TShirt - Green Large</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>148</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>15</PriceList><PriceLimit>15</PriceLimit></detail><detail><ProductName>Planting Service</ProductName><M_Product_Category_ID>107</M_Product_Category_ID><CategoryName>Standard</CategoryName><M_Product_ID>126</M_Product_ID><C_TaxCategory_ID>107</C_TaxCategory_ID><TaxName>Standard</TaxName><UPC></UPC><PriceList>45</PriceList><PriceLimit>40.5</PriceLimit></detail></entityDetail>

guess.png
guess.png (18.44 KiB) Viewed 14808 times

With, the above confirmation, the queued XML is then automatically synched into Openbravo POS:

Synch1.png
Synch1.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 14820 times

Checking the Stock shows the new Category "Standard" and its products and its prices.

Synch2.png
Synch2.png (35.45 KiB) Viewed 14820 times

Now we can sell those items right away:

Synch3.png
Synch3.png (62.72 KiB) Viewed 14820 times

My code is committed under FitnesseOBPOS and the receiving process will be OB POS' ProductsQueueSync (taken from ProductsSync). (Revision: 16120 http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 0&view=rev)

The final part will be synching in the Customers and Inventory (during the Product synch, via its Org's Warehouse Locator).
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 pm

The latest openbravo.properties for you to set at the Maintenance Menu when running the latest code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
<properties>
    <comment>Openbravo Websevice configuration</comment>
    <entry key="url">
   http://192.168.1.2:8088/ADInterface/services
    </entry>
    <entry key="id">11</entry>
    <entry key="org">11</entry>
    <entry key="pos">100</entry>
    <entry key="user">test</entry>
    <entry key="password">adempiere</entry>

<entry key="queue-host">localhost</entry>
    <entry key="queue-port">61613</entry>
    <entry key="orders-queue">/queue/test</entry>
    <entry key="products-queue">/queue/test</entry>
    <entry key="customers-queue">/queue/test</entry>
</properties>
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:29 am

Here is a short movie to give a full cycle view of its operations. I will commit the migration scripts that group the synch functions in the AD Menu.

red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I have put the whole process cycle into a workflow together with the ActiveMQ starting and stopping tasks!

synchwf1.png
synchwf1.png (23.43 KiB) Viewed 14700 times

The above is the new menu structure proposed to house the POS stuff separately from the Sales Order menu to reduce clutter there.

synchwf2.png
synchwf2.png (34.87 KiB) Viewed 14700 times

In the Workflow we have the Start and Stop tasks for the ActiveMQ.

synchwf3.png
synchwf3.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 14700 times

It is tested ok, and I could do the whole cycle similar to the steps in the movie using this workflow (for Adempiere side plus the ActiveMQ turned ON at the start and turned OFF when done.

synchwf4.png
synchwf4.png (22.48 KiB) Viewed 14700 times

All code and migration script is committed. You have to modify the Task windows to point to your actual ActiveMQ path as i done below for my own server.

tasksynch.png
tasksynch.png (38.41 KiB) Viewed 14693 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Persistence is now solved.

persistent.png
persistent.png (66.22 KiB) Viewed 14659 times

This is done with the code during connection:

header.put(PERSISTENT, "true");
         connection.open(URLhost, port);
         connection.connect("", "");
         connection.begin("MQClient");
         connection.send(queuePath, messageText, "MQClient", header);

The MQ was stopped and then restart couple of times to prove that it really persists. I have tested it both ways, exporting products to the OB POS and importing orders from it. That means if the MQ service is down, there is no fatal lost of data. Once the service is restored you can inspect the panel above and see what messages are still there.

All code submitted to SVN.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

One good thing about this Apache project is its power of control. Note in the image below of the Customers and Products message queues. We can keep track in real-time the activity among the clients talking to the queue. Also we can configure persistence, performance as well as security parameters. (more, more to come!)

activeadmin.png
activeadmin.png (103.51 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

Below shows its high visibility and intuitive grasp where you can drill right to the message itself (see the XML string at the bottom of the screenshot, Message Details section):

queuedrill.png
queuedrill.png (87.95 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

Its terminal console (if run as activemq console) is also very descriptive:

activemqconsole.png
activemqconsole.png (39.73 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

I extended the Process dialog to cover more scenarios such as sending either OR/AND both categories of data, non-availability of MQ, removal of queue to help the newbies user better.

Picture 13.png
Picture 13.png (21.32 KiB) Viewed 14615 times

To erase, you leave both categories blank and tick the Erase box. You can also refer the Admin Panel before this to view what Queue contents are there and decide what to do.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 am

With the help of Dominik (banym) in Munich which setup a remote MQ server http://jenkins.idempiere.com:8161/admin/queues.jsp

jenkinsMQ.png
jenkinsMQ.png (47.45 KiB) Viewed 14548 times

You can click on it to see the queues in action. We just set the properties in both ERP:

erp2jenkins.png
erp2jenkins.png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 14548 times

and at the POS' openbravo.properties:

<entry key="queue-host">jenkins.idempiere.com</entry>

We can communicate between the ERP and the POS virtually anywhere in the world. We can have location to setup more POS clients to stress the MQ service.

Now i am sending both Product and Customer information:

bothProdCust.png
bothProdCust.png (15.62 KiB) Viewed 14548 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 am

And here are the customers included this time during POS Sync.

synprodcust.png
synprodcust.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 14547 times

And we can now examine the Customers table within the POS

custdetails.png
custdetails.png (28.5 KiB) Viewed 14547 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm

We then test it out during a Sales at the POS we click on the Persons icon:

CustSales1.png
CustSales1.png (15.06 KiB) Viewed 14528 times

And make two sample sales with two different Customers, first we get C&W,

CustSales2.png
CustSales2.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 14528 times

and a Hoe for Joe Block. Then after payments, we do a POS Sync and from the ADempiere ERP we do an Import Orders from Queue. We get the loaded Orders processed:

CustSales3.png
CustSales3.png (7.9 KiB) Viewed 14528 times

They seem to be successful. This means we now have integration of customer list to the POS. From there it is viable to expand that to have Customer Loyalty Promotions where each Customer track record can be accessed and qualified according to a Sales Promotion campaign to enjoy special discounts according to some business rules. Such a module can be developed next within the openbravo POS and ADempiere.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I have managed to integrate the Stock movements into openbravoPOS. However there is a gap within that POS which is they do not set that into the display. They do exist in the database as shown here:

StockDiary.png
StockDiary.png (50.73 KiB) Viewed 14321 times

After making some sales, the table shows the movement accordingly:

StockDiary2.png
StockDiary2.png (32.79 KiB) Viewed 14321 times

And the current stock shows nett:

StockCurrent.png
StockCurrent.png (38.1 KiB) Viewed 14321 times

After exporting the sales to the ERP, and processing the imports allow us to see the stock movement reflected in the Product Info panel. However i discovered a flaw in all the ImportOrders. They should not import IDs but Name or SearchValues and an IDLookUp be done instead. Thus the Warehouse_ID field is not useful as the POS ID is not a PK ID but a real name such as HQ Warehouse. Such a name field is not set in I_Order window nor table. I will correct that ref type and modify the source of ImportOrder and update in SVN later.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

A comprehensive manual has been uploaded to SVN together with all the binaries and sources of this integration works. There software is workable but I am on the lookout for minor issues which i am still clearing or getting some apprentices here to assist.

Document: http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempie ... f/download

Repository: http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempie ... nbravoPOS/
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I just uploaded a fresh set of binaries and guide. The latest can solve full Warehouse locator synchronisation for all POS clients. Please download again. I added more user friendly info such as below:

IntegrationModel.png
IntegrationModel.png (49.2 KiB) Viewed 14182 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:27 am

Following some guidelines from openbravo site we can download the Germanlanguage pack and apply it into the application locales and reports folders, and after selecting it in the Configuration and restarting, it is ready in Deutsch!

Screen Shot 2011-11-23 at 3.19.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2011-11-23 at 3.19.23 AM.png (160.96 KiB) Viewed 13587 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 am

And here is the movie done in German also. Voice over by 9 year old Lia.

red1
Site Admin

Postby moneil222 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:29 pm

I've gotten my system working just like your POC system. Instead of German, I did the French localization. Very nice and easy! :D
I've found a bug that I'd like to dig into deeper. Is this the best place to post comments on this topic?

Start with a fresh openbravopos-database with no products.
Export the Tools category from ADempiere and import into the POS.
Everything looks good at this point. It creates the category Tools and all products marked "In Catalog"
Now, export another category of products form ADempiere. I choose Bushes.
Import into the POS.
At this point, we have a problem. All the products in the DB are now set to the category of Bushes.
The existing Tools category gets deleted.
All of the products that existed before (the Tools), have the attribute "In Catalog" set to null (interesting, I can't find this attribute in the DB)
When this attribute is unchecked (found under the Stock Tab of the product listing) the product won't show when you try to make a sale.

Can anyone else reproduce this?
I'd like to dig into this more to see if I can find where this is happening. Is the latest source at:
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... _ActiveMQ/

Thanks!
SEan
moneil222

Postby red1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes, anywhere is quite a right place to post because if it is not i can always edit and move it, so it is ok for posting here for now.

Yes you are right about the behaviour above. But i think it is easy to solve (if you got the time and can code, i can help review your work and commit it or i move this sub project to a new SF space so that i can admin it easier).

I was not able to resolve some of this matters of which i already described in my PDF's technical section that are still some gaps. Actually the original scope was already big and ambitious which is to integrate OB POS to AD ERP which was never published before, and we find Openbravo closing its synch adapter when it upgraded and locked into its OB ERP and charging a price for it. So it is not easy to think at first how to achieve it or where to start. So it took alot of study and code gap matching until i got it fixed.

Thus this is at best a good POC that integration works both ways, and i left a comprehensive enough PDF to encourage more users and developers to contribute back.

Thank you for showing interest, and your French feedback further give us positive news that OB integration has no backward instability and i hope you do assist further in any small way.

cheers!
red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Moneil,
I just read your comment praising this work in Youtube. And now realised you were here too and i did answer but not in full.

OK, if you can go into the code, there is a reloading of products during synchronising where Openbravo POS deletes all the old Catalogs. What this means is this: That you supposed to load multiple catalogs at one time but we are only setting one catalog during export from ERP.

Thus this can be resolved in two approaches:
1. To make the ERP side able to export more Catalogs perhaps under a Product Category Summary heading (easy to do) and we just have to tweak the Process to iterate the child categories and write to the XML string each different category.
1.b We have to make sure the import side of the Openbravo POS during POS synchronization remembers that arrangement.

2. We can just break the normal Openbravo POS treatment of importing not to delete old categories.

In reflecting this, i think we should allow both ways. But this will mean we need to setup more flags perhaps in the openbravo.properties page.

WDYT?
BTW, i be in Paris from 26th Dec till 3rd Jan, 2012. We can meet too!

red1
red1
Site Admin

Next

Return to Building ADempiere