Upgrading Fixed Assets

What Trunk or Branches to use and mix? Which is the Official version? How to survive growth?
Forum rules
This forum is personally pruned to avoid redundant posts. Related topics are moved to the same sub-forum. Language will be corrected for readability.

Upgrading Fixed Assets

Postby red1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 am

As advised here by Heng Sin, the present Fixed Assets is too broken and the Teo's contribution is the one to pursue. However it is also not maintained and outdated with gaps in sample data and code which i have to handle before starting a base regression testing.

Here i start listing the gaps encountered and when resolved or upgraded will go to the QA thread to conduct the tests.
1. Reported in tracker (SOLVED)
a. Invoice model conflict
i: Missing MInvoice.COLUMNNAME_C_CashPlanLine_ID (361)
ii: Missing MInvoice.COLUMNNAME_IsFixedAssetInvoice (FA)
iii: Missing MInvoiceLine.COLUMNNAME_IsFixedAssetInvoice (FA)
b. Include MInvoiceLine from version 361 to module FA to avoid classpath conflict

2. Missing sample data
a. Asset Type not accessible by role (just run Role Access Update)
b. Asset Group has no sample data with Accounting Defaults
c. Asset Group Acct has no Depreciation record needed by constraint > ===========> Trx.commit: POSave_6d48560c-50fb-4877-9bac-22affffbb503 [11]
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: insert or update on table "a_asset_group_acct" violates foreign key constraint "adepreciation_aassetgroupacct"
Detail: Key (a_depreciation_id)=(1000003) is not present in table "a_depreciation".; State=23503; ErrorCode=0
(SOLVED)

3. Missing CalloutAsset. Solved with a blank stub committed in new branch (rev15275) below.
red1
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading Fixed Assets

Postby red1 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 am

Tasks are recorded in Fixed Asset Tracker of SourceForge project space:

Committed new branch http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 5&view=rev
Refactoring migration scripts to conventional classpath for easy execution
Edit Readme for better guide http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 8&view=rev
Removed unused defaults in Table - http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 8&view=rev
Created sample data:
Asset Type http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 9&view=rev

The Romanian Manual from Teo Sarca / Archipac is also undergoing proper translation and i shall upload once completed. I also cross-check with Robert Klein's original user manual.

Within the code, edited terms from Romanian:
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 0&view=rev
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 1&view=rev
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 2&view=rev
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 3&view=rev
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 4&view=rev
http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/ad ... 8&view=rev
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi red1,

I want to help in translating the manual into English, if you want (and not done that already). I can confirm the manual with Lek for validation after finish.

Kitti U.
kittiu

Postby red1 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Note to Kittiu: You can try to understand the manual together with Robert Klein's one first. I been doing some new screen shots for Teo's which i think is very incomplete or just a complement to Robert's. For now we need Lek advice on what i found out about the FA subject matter. I be posting the screenshots of the new Asset window after import from Invoice and need her input if its complete.

I have migrated the CreateInvoicedAsset.class from Robert Klein to Teo's model class framework. This is an important milestone as the former is not safe using mostly X_classes to handle documents whereas Teo use the Compiere convention of M_classes. Model classes has document level constraints and checks inbuilt into them to ensure document record integrity.

I also re-factored DB SQL queries within the class to reduce lines and better readability for those who can read Query format.

Also fixed some bugs along the way. All these i have reported in the trackers here.

Few more bugs uncovered which i will be tackling now such as missing Product tab info. So far the idea is simple. It is to replicate what worked before and ensure it is stable. The next step will be to run the Build Depreciation WorkFile. This is where more fireworks are expected. Stay tuned.
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 pm

OK, right. And after I post that, I have read the Robert Klein, which have given me better picture (from zero knowledge ;P). I think Teo's is still use many of the Robert's concept, but enhance it. May be, it is better to enhance Robert's manual, rather than translate the Teo's.
kittiu

Postby red1 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:00 am

Yes that seems a better idea as Teo's seems more of an addon or enhancement. Ok, this morning i already made Inbound Charges From AP (CreateInvoicedAsset.class) work. Latest code change committed. Below are the screen-shots and i give some remarks for developer and subject matter reference. So you can use these material for any document you are writing. Information is free!

The above is how you first create your invoice. You can see in this InvoiceLine tab, i indicated that this is Asset Related and gave the Asset Group. The product was first created prior, where i also grouped it to the same Asset Group so that it is considered a real asset. I select it as a Capital and the Asset field is left blank as it is not created yet. After it is created you can use Expense and fill the Asset value for it to charge to. So this is just my assumptions and as time goes by with my further scrutiny of the code business logic i shall make further remarks in later replies of this post thread.
Next you complete the Invoice and then go to the Inbound Charges From AP to create your Asset.
Oh, one more thing. Your AssetGroup has to have a AssetGroupAccts tab populated to define this group's life usage, depreciation method and default accounts to post to.

After the Inbound Charges is executed you will get the above Asset window populated. This window has more tabs than Robert Klein's particularly the Product (AssetProduct) tab and Expense (DepreciationExpense) tab.

I have to make the extra code to get this populated and it does obtain a new Attribute Set Instance or Serial No. to attach to this Asset. Note that there are other 3 empty fields. I will edit the code to populate this too.

By the way, some of these tabs were not supposed to show if the Asset is not to 'depreciate'. That has an issue as some tabs get corrupted in its display. So i removed all such DisplayLogic - @IsDepreciated@='Y' so now all tabs appear permanently. Later we can try to solve this small issue.

The Asset Balances is a tab for DepreciationWorkfile. Note the Romanian terms to be translated and the Update depreciation process button to investigate what it will really do. I assume that this is a check-sheet to do the real depreciation.

Now the above Accounting Setup only appears when you activate the Show Accounting in Preferences. This tab shows the Accounting defaults taken from the AssetGroupAccts. This will be used in the Depreciation processing.

This Activation/Addition (AssetAddition) tab is 'read-only' with a process button too. Also needing some further investigation. From what i read of the code this document is important and referred to in some processes.

The Expense tab (DepreciationExp) takes care of the Journal entries where a pair of records are created. One record is of contra or minus value to the other record. So in our case we get another record that has the value '-$120,000'.

There is a Process Depreciation Expense which does the actual accounts posting. However on pressing it, the class associated, ro.ARH1pac.adempiere.fa.process.A_Depreciation_Exp_Process is not found. In actual fact that class exist and it is just a typo ARH1 = arhi, and after that it does run. According to Teo here, it is for single record testing and actual processing is done in batch.

Also take note of the Period field value. It may need some tweaking (TODO).

=Conclusion=
The code obviously is not completely uploaded by the enhanced version of Teo Sarca's but it is a good approach using the new DocumentType and Model classes which is in compliance with Compiere's convention of document control and monitoring.
More light i believe will emerge after i test and resolve any issues with the A_Depreciation_Workfile_Build routine this weekend.
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Thu May 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I have been talking with Lek in trying to understand. I am deploying for her what updated (and will keep update) from your work. Myself will be writing the A Step by Step Guide to Fixed Asset in wiki, with the working case from her. Without the case it will be difficult to continue. May I leaving the coding part to expert like you, but will revisit and report case when I find it in your tracker.

The FA, seems ok. But Lek said, in some part it is still acting itself like an accounting software (not fully integrate with the core). For example, when we buy new asset (using AR Invoice), instead of create accounting fact immediately, we will have to do manually, Inbound Charge for AP.

Anyhow, let's live with the standard version first. It can be fixed later.

Following are the very normal case of fixed asset (from Lek, which might not 100% match with ADempiere)
1. Requisition to purchase a fixed asset, i.e., a car, amount x,xxx,xxx.
2. Generate PO from approved requisition.
3. Send approved PO to supplier, may or may not have the product key. (we are not buying them often)
4. Receive car as fixed asset and assign location and assign tag number of the asset.
- ** New asset should be created here, instead of invoice **
- Accounting Fact: Dr. Fixed Asset Intransit, Cr. ???
5. Receive AP Invoice for that fixed asset.
- Accounitng Fact: Dr. Fixed Asset, Cr. Account Payable
6.1 Make payment for this Fixed Asset as normal.
6.2 Create asset detail, more information such as,
- Core Info: Depreciation Method, % Depreciation, Account Code setup for depreciation and accumulate depreciation, Useful Life, Location, Acquisition Date, Residual Value, Time interval to depreciation calculation
- Related Info: Insureance, Leasing, Maintenance (may complete with Maintenance Management Module), Account Code for maintenance charge, etc.
6.3 Create fix asset registration

Then automatically (or manually park and post), each month end, for the process of depreciation calculation and generat accounting entry.

There are many more cases, i.e., maintenance of fixed asset, splitting, asset from construction, etc. (too headache for me -_-").

Kitti U.
kittiu

Postby anhhn » Fri May 20, 2011 2:45 pm

4. Receive car as fixed asset and assign location and assign tag number of the asset.
- ** New asset should be created here, instead of invoice **
- Accounting Fact: Dr. Fixed Asset Intransit, Cr. ???
5. Receive AP Invoice for that fixed asset.
- Accounitng Fact: Dr. Fixed Asset, Cr. Account Payable

----------
Correct entry should be:
Receive Asset: Dr Assets/Cr FA In Transit
Receive AP Invoice: Dr FA In Transit / Cr AP

We can utilize Material Receipt if using this approach. Personally, I prefer using "Inbound Charge to AP", as we can use charge (not product) for recording purchase of assets.
anhhn

Postby red1 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks AnnHn, your input is vital for me to check on Inbound use of 'Charge' also as i have tested ok already for 'Product'.
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Mon May 23, 2011 7:54 pm

I am wondering about the intention of steps to create an asset.

From what I see so far. 1) Create invoice for an asset, post it as normal (not post for asset yet). 2) Run Inbound Charge for AP, will create Asset directly (I still can not see the posting for asset).

And at first, I though that the Inbound Asset Entry window will be the "parking" place of assets (from Running Inbound Charge for AP), and user review before it gets created. Is it not?
kittiu

Postby red1 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 am

Kittiu, as i understand, Invoice is from Purchase of such assets.

Ok, i have found out that i was wrong in Calendar Period field. I reverted here. Now just refresh and you can also execute Build Depreciation Workfile (the Update Depreciation button in Asset window > Balances) which will create all the periods of depreciation records according to the life of the asset as set in its Asset Group.

Those records will appear in the Expenses tab. Each record can then be manually (or in batch i presume on periodic) processed and posted to the accounts.
red1
Site Admin

Postby anhhn » Tue May 24, 2011 7:20 am

kittiu wrote:I am wondering about the intention of steps to create an asset.

From what I see so far. 1) Create invoice for an asset, post it as normal (not post for asset yet). 2) Run Inbound Charge for AP, will create Asset directly (I still can not see the posting for asset).

And at first, I though that the Inbound Asset Entry window will be the "parking" place of assets (from Running Inbound Charge for AP), and user review before it gets created. Is it not?

Create Invoice or Material Receipt >> Create Accounting Entries for the purchase of assets. Therefore, with or without FA Module, for the accounting view, transaction is done. In Balance sheet, value of asset is already recorded.

"Inbound Charge for AP" >> Create additional entry for monitoring assets (off-balance sheet). You can then enter detail information of the assets in the FA Module and reconcile its balance with accounting book.
Create Depreciation in the FA >> No Accounting fact >> Need to push it to GL Journal using Depreciation Workfile.

That is what I understand from original Robert Klein's FA Module, haven't seen Arhipac's.

Regards,
Anh Han
anhhn

Postby red1 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 am

Anh Han,
In the AssetGroup window there is a tab "Asset Group Accts" which sets default accounts elements. Are they not for posting to accounts somewhere?

By the way, i wrote to Teo Sarca about where is his own CreateInvoicedAsset, and he replied,
Hi Red,

I will need to search for that class on my personal laptop (not here at the moment) but as I remember what I've commited was all that was needed. At that time, Anca also checked and everything was working.

I've took a look on your posts regarding this and I remember that there were some errors. One that pops in my mind is related to Capital vs Expense. The idea behind this is not that the first Invoice should be Capital. The next invoices for an already existing asset could be also Capital and in this case the Asset value should be increased. When the invoice is Expense for an existing Asset that means that it was an expense related to that Asset. For example a service invoice because your asset was broken and it needed to be repaired.
Anyway, as time permits I can give u short answers regarding this module, but I would prefer to do this as part of ADempiere project, on ADempiere forums.

and this is the reply from Silvano (Italy) who also worked on the Fixed Assets,
Hi Redhuan,
> > At the moment i cannot find Teo's code for Inbound Charges for AP. Do you use that or something else to create Fixed Assets?
Im not sure i understand your question, but in Teo's code fixed asset and additions records are created from MatchInvice documents,
only for invoice flagged as 'fixed asset'. This flag is driven by the product category of the product assigned to the invoice line.
We didnt find how to automatically increase fixed asset value from charges (C_Charge). As of now the only way is to manually create an asset addition.

I have attached the latest version of the source code, compatible with 360, 2pack and sql script (oracle only), and some documentation on the changes made to Teo's implementation.

I attach it below and display the PDF he gave:
arhipac-fixedasset.zip
Given by Silvano
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 861 times

red1
Site Admin

Postby anhhn » Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Red1,

I tested FA with charge, which point directly to the account in the "Asset Group Acct", never tried to point to another account :)

I think these accounts are used for Depreciation/Asset Revaluation/Asset Disposal/Addition (select "Capital"), which help FA Module to create correct accounting entries for recording back in the accounting book. If you run "Post Depreciation Entry", it will create a GL Journal with entry taken from the asset's Accounting tab.

Regards,
Anh Han
anhhn

Postby kittiu » Tue May 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Anh han and Red 1

Thank you for the answer. Anh han answer is making sense, about posting for FA when do material receive. Got it!

After discussion with Lek, we still think that the Inbound Charge for AP make not much sense. It is another required step, yet without ability to re-check from user.

The answer from Silvano make sense. Is it possible that Teo's FA do not use Inbound Charge for AP at all, but rather by pass it and direct create Asset / Asset Addition when the Matched Invoice for FA is created.

Just a thought.
Kitti U.

And the answer from
kittiu

Postby red1 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Good thinking Kittiu! Also thanks to Anh.
Ok now i also confirmed AssetAddition's role to process Depreciation Expense records. It will match with the Invoice (this may be tested by Kittiu to see if it matches with Shipment record instead). As this Activation/Addition creates the Depreciation Expenses, the BuildDepWorkFile and Balances tab are not needed to do it.

Below are the other changes that happened after the process. The Asset tab shows its status changed from NEW to ACTIVATED. The InvoiceLine also shows the Asset ID reference.

AssetStatus.png
AssetStatus.png (10.34 KiB) Viewed 36615 times

invoiceFA.png
invoiceFA.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 36615 times

For Accounting Consequences, i managed to get it via Post Depreciation Entry window:

PostDepEntry.gif
PostDepEntry.gif (35.36 KiB) Viewed 36615 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am

The Depreciation Expense report suffers a deep wound here. Thanks to Carlos, it is solved. Below is a sample report from the trial above. Notice that the first line is ticked green showing it is been processed at the Asset > Expense tab. Not necessarily posted to accounts.

FAExpRpt.gif
FAExpRpt.gif (42.01 KiB) Viewed 36603 times

Now there is left only one last matter which is the Disposal of Assets which hits a value changed error. Once that is solved, a full loop is considered here.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:45 pm

It seems the Disposal is working ok! Now, this is how we do disposals:
1. You use the window Asset Activation/Disposal under the Split Transfers and Disposal menu.
2. You create a record of the asset you wish to dispose.
2.1 Asset must not have its current month already depreciated or else it will give a "Already Depreciated" status and not allow it through.
2.2 Asset must be an activated asset with depreciation expense records.
2.3 You cannot change the status manually which will give you the error i reported in previous post. The process will handle that for you.
3. Give the values in the fields displayed.
4. Press 'Complete'
5. Account tab when active will show 'Posting' button, if it is not automated, you can post it and view the accounts.
Below is what you should see. In this case i am disposing the Asset after some depreciation, thus the variance is recorded. You may set the account date to a future date to allow the disposal. Otherwise the system will detect your present period which should not be depreciated yet.

FADisposed.gif
FADisposed.gif (40.35 KiB) Viewed 36561 times

With this we have achieved a close loop process on Fixed Assets and other processes or needs are workable as there is framework wide integrity.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 am

I noted that Teo's methods are not activated as Rob's methods are still displayed. I managed to correlate Accelerated Variable and below i test it out.

Here i set the Depreciation method to Variable Accelerated (Accelerated Depreciation in Teo's). Remember the percentage to depreciated for the first period of the year has to be in 0.05 (for 5%). Note that i set 4 years for Usable Life which automatically set 48 periods.

FAAV.gif
FAAV.gif (16.51 KiB) Viewed 36585 times

After Workfile Update Depreciation we get the following Depreciation Expenses records. There are 48 expense records to depreciate the asset fully. Note that this method starts the depreciation the 2nd year onwards. The first period of the year is depreciated according to what percentage we set, which in this case is 5%.

FAAV2.gif
FAAV2.gif (33.42 KiB) Viewed 36586 times
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Red1,

Just have chance to look more today. From the today version of your FixedAsset, I have a question about asset tracking,

From my understanding about asset management, asset should be tracked individually. Which mean, in Asset window, and asset should always have quantity equal to one. In other words, also means that when we receive (or in our case, AR Invoice), i.e., 10 units in one AR Invoice, it should be created as 10 assets when do Inbound Charge for AP.

In other asset management software, when I receive 10 units, it will popup for me 10 records to add Asset ID.

But what I see from our FixedAsset now, the Asset is create with Quantity = 10 ??? Isn't it strange?

WDYT?
Kitti
kittiu

Postby red1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes of course i agree. During my testing i found out that there is Attribute Instance allotted, so that requirement is solvable. But for qty more than one i am not too sure other than i know that Shipment routine can handle that. So i don't think applying each attribute instance as per qty is difficult to solve within the code.
red1
Site Admin

Postby kittiu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Red1,

Understand that concept. But still think it should be great if, when receipt we can select to split all the assets into individual assets in one go. As asset, it should be freely to be moved and tracked. Anyhow, I will leave that issue for now.

Another more important thing, the more we played the more I understand that Inbound Charge for AP is depreciated in Arhipac version. And it really make a lot of sense to not use Inbound Charge for AP.

"As Silvano mentioned
> > At the moment i cannot find Teo's code for Inbound Charges for AP. Do you use that or something else to create Fixed Assets?
Im not sure i understand your question, but in Teo's code fixed asset and additions records are created from MatchInvice documents,
only for invoice flagged as 'fixed asset'."

I am sorry if you have passed this issue already. But what I see from Modelvalidator, the matched invoiced is created, the Asset will be created for the Product of Asset Type's Value = "MFX". This definitely smooth the process and close the gap that user may forget to do the receipt of Asset. And Lek as accountant, also confirm that it is correct way. (We have tried the whole loop of purchasing new products until it become new assets and it seem to be Accounting Posting OK given the case mentioned).

But when I do this,
1. Invoice (Vendor) for a product of Asset Type "MFX", complete it.
2. MM Receipt for that product, complete it.
3. ModelValidator for Matched Invoiced Document will call to create new asset. But I got the error that M_MatchInv_ARH table is missing.
Later on, I also found that many table that exists in Packout of Arhipac is missing as well, i.e., A_Asset_Movement, which I think it is necessary for asset tracking.

I am now try to install the Packout of Arhipac, but so damn difficult. Have you tried installed it?

(Don't be bothered if you have passed this issues already)
Kitti U.
kittiu

Postby red1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

My branches/FixedAsset is a successful installation of it. So you can use mine. Thanks for your comments on the 'right' way to create FA from Matched Invoices. You can try to proceed to test and even create the missing tables. If you manage to do that and commit to the branch, i can review and reconfirm in a new Fitnesse test script.

So in summary, i can see that there are 2 ways then to create FAs. But i think the Inbound Charges from AP (CreateInvoicedAsset.java) is a lesser or for simpler setups to use. I mean those businesses that do not do accounting setup in their ERP. Lek, WDYT?
red1
Site Admin

Postby Lek » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Red1,

Hope you are going well...wheresoever...

As you have said is correct, there are two ways...Different way – Different purpose.
1. The businesses do not focus on accounting – Their purpose is using EAM, which is lesser and simpler setup.
2. The businesses also focus on accounting – Their purpose is using ERP, which is more complicated setup but optimise and streamline.

It depends on the business's need and Direction.

With my zero-knowledge of programming, I suspect that if such business wants to move further to optimize their business process (start to focus on accounting = ERP), is it only coding on top of that without having to dismantle? if so, it is groovy! Otherwise, more complicated setup but more sexy is a better choice, isn't it? :)

Lek
Lek

Postby red1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I agree with you Lek. With your accounting expertise help also we all are collaborating to build the best ERP as we can. The Fixed Assets is getting close to be very usable and out of the box with the above testing. MatchInvoice is one aspect already in production in few places so i dont see issue in that converging into the tests later. What i have figured out is at least to make the core framework in working order as a suite with the rest, i.e. Invoice generating Asset set, Asset Group control of Depreciation expenses and its Accounts posting. Thank you Lek for your valuable attention. Hope to meet you again either in Berlin or in Bangkok (August onwards).
red1
Site Admin

Next

Return to Building ADempiere