http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adempiere

Create your own tidbits here. Drinks on the house. Ash-trays provided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adempiere

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:29 am

I think Colin Rooney made it! He writes too well.

Hope the WIKIwitches old off their brooms this time from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adempiere

I m overawed by the power of many eyeballs, and many fingers.

As usual, on behalf of the community, Thanks a zillion Colin. Just that i notice that u didnt register as a WIKIPedian... u must and make some small edits there to let the WIKIans know u and they will endorse your status, and its easy for them to communicate with u via the TALK tab so that u keep track of their brooms.
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:42 am

For the record i m pasting what was the former post i put in that didnt make the mark. The last para: "Goals..." was put in by Victor.
An Open Source Community Attempts A Friendly Fork
Adempiere comes from an Italian word, meaning 'to fulfill' but with additional context of "to complete, reach, practice, perform the duties of, or free (discharge)"; meanings that are now used by an Open Source group's effort to defend the interests of a Community that has outgrown from the corridors of the premier Open Source ERP/CRM project which is named Compiere, also another closely meant Italian word, by its creator, Jorg Janke.

Much of the user community first appear in SourceForge forums, mostly either posing questions or helping each other in a voluntary and published fashion, associating with the goodwill provided by free and available source codes that was placed there by contributors in the first place.

The more contributive members of the community began to question the original Compiere's commercial patron, ComPiere Inc. openly in the forums and another active contributor site red1.org that eventually debated the pros and cons of forking this great project that has often hit the top ten rankings since it was formed about 5 years ago.

The eventual consensus leads to the forming of a friendly software fork that will maintain reverence to Compiere but promote an active contributive community that has code writing or CVS (Concurrent Versions System) rights.

Question of Staying Open
This phenomena shall be of great interest to followers of the Open source movement as to how long can Open Source projects sustain its momentum before caving in to commercial forces as happened with projects such as those based on Linux which has seen the spawning of numerous commercial brands such as RedHat, Suse, Fedora and Mandrake. What is unique about this application suite is that it is unlike Linux as its not utility based but in every aspect a full blown business application that has tremendous commercial interests and in competition to big vendors such as SAP, Oracle, Microsoft and IBM. Usually, Open Source effort even by such vendors have been to ride on utilities or small scale applications while their core business applications remain proprietary so as to reap the benefits of having a bazaar effect of creating a strong user base. Thus they give away smaller stuff to position their core flagship products. For Compiere to have no other core product other than its training courses, user manual sales, and thin consultancy services must have pushed their business model into unchartered waters. Thus, their recent success at getting a reported amount of USD6 million is of mixed blessing as now the commercial demands are heightened.

Many members of the community may emphatise with the apparent dilema the above question pose, but the traditional argument with Open Source has been that to remain free is like free air but not free lunch. You still make money, in fact lots of it, from branded consultancy and sale of time-based services.

The Bazaar Importance
Even though The Cathedral and the Bazaar story was long written for the movement, the opposing forces' end game tends to credit its author, Eric Raymond, that the community issues have eventual commercial significance. As part of the Compiere community's predicament is to make sense of the ever-changing licensing that is seen from one sub version to another. There is also a Catch-22 restriction that both allow and disallow the use of logo and brand name in the application. This begs the question as to how a brand or logo is entrenched in Open Source till it harvested enough commercial value and then decisively withdrawn back to its commercial owner - ComPiere Inc, and from the community that has been giving it the high hit-rate it enjoyed. Does the commercial entity enjoy legal cover and immunity from the community wishes?

The uniqueness of the Compiere project is also that most of its listed developers do not have CVS rights to the project, and development and progress of the source codes remain a closely guarded affair. Attempts to submit code improvements are hardly seen to gain namesake in any of the thousands of java source files within the source. This is not uncommon in industry but more moderated as in the case of JBoss where its founder, Marc Fleury openly invite developers to earn the right to be committers. He also openly writes and professes the merit of Open Source as a career decision for software developers, in his own words as amounting to 'taking the red pill'. JBoss also allow a high number of denominated software to co-exist within its repository. JBoss books and certifications also flourished. Its such charisma and other human development techniques that complement the codes to bring about JBoss proud community.

Thus, for want of some other industry-related comparison, we can see the community factor these two examples poses, of their living behavior that spells value or uncertainty in an open source endeavour.

Goals of this Project
In our experience, we have been working with Compiere for many years. We have gotten many satisfactions, and we have taken advantage of the great job made by Jorg Janke with Compiere. With the acquired experience we have a dream: to create a project that evolves from Compiere, a project with leading edge technology where everyone can share their ideas, with the GPL license, where the problems of the end users are listened to, where we can integrate our effort with the effort of others, where the requirements of business clients are heard, where our clients feel that they have true support, are in summary some of the things that need improving. Its for those reasons that we dare to invite everyone interested in this proposal, with a big desire of working and to support this dream together.

Adempiere Council
red1
Site Admin

Postby afalcone » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:53 am

Hi Red1,

For the record i m pasting what was the former post i put in that didnt make the mark. The last para: "Goals..." was put in by Victor.

I put there the "Goals...", because I thought important to put the project's goals.

Regards
afalcone
Regular

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:56 am

The post by Colin (playing the witches advocate) may smack of the WEB & VAIN clause IF its done by its own group members to promote itself and not of PEDIA value. So,.. just in case...
Adempiere
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Adempiere is a community driven project that develops and supports an open source business solution of the same name, that delivers Enterprise Resource Planning, Customer Relationship Management and Supply Chain Management functionality.

The Adempiere project was created in September 2006 after a long running disagreement between ComPiere Inc., the developers of Compiere™, and the community that formed around that project. The community believed Compiere Inc. placed too much emphasis on the open source nature of the project, rather than the community nature of the project, and after an impassioned dicussion decided to split from Compiere™ giving birth to the Adempiere project.

The project name comes from the Italian word meaning 'to fulfill' but with additional context of "to complete, reach, practice, perform the duties of, or free (discharge)", which was felt was very appropriate to what the project wished to achieve.

Contents [hide]
1 Project Structure
2 Goals of this Project
3 Adempiere Business Functionality
4 Adempiere Architecture
5 Adempiere Technology

Project Structure
As a community based project all are entitled to their say -and are encouraged to do so-, but for practical purposes the project is guided by the a Council of contributors, lead by Red1. The role of the council is to

to support decisions of the leader
accept contributions
define the roadmap
review and approve specifications
vote for new functionalities
approve changes to core
[edit]
Goals of this Project
The goal of the Adempiere project is the creation of a community developed and supported open source business solution. The project's community believes that best method of attaining this goal is in the implementation of the Bazaar from Eric Raymond's famous article The Cathedral and the Bazaar. This commitment to the community distinguishes the project from other open source projects developing similar business solutions. These ideals are expressed and enshrined in the Project Charter -currently being written by the project's council-.

[edit]
Adempiere Business Functionality
The following business areas are addressed by the Adempiere application

Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
Supply Chain Management (SCM)
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Financial Performance Analysis
Integrated Point-Of-Sales (POS) solution
Integrated Web Store
[edit]
Adempiere Architecture
Adempiere inherited the Adapative Data Dictionary from the Compiere™ project. This architecture allows for the extension of the database Data Dictionary concept into the application, which in turn allows for the management of the application's entities and their validation rules, as well as screen layout & display logic from within the application itself. A WfMC and OMG standards based workflow engine is utilised to provide Business Process Management. These features allow for the rapid customization of the application to a business needs as it evolves.

[edit]
Adempiere Technology
Adempiere is developed with J2EE technology, specifically utilising the JBoss application server. Currently database support is restricted to Oracle and PostgreSQL, but database independence is a priority technology goal of the project.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adempiere"
red1
Site Admin

Postby croo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 am

ah yes ....

sorry about that guys... I too am new to the wikipedia.
I had thought perhaps it was keeping versions behind the scene or something?
Just in case I did copy & save the previous version -

red: I created my self a user on wikipedia and made a small edit to page... I need to do anything else?

I kept the posting as small as possible with the theory that the less we said the less wikipedi has to find fault ! :-) All of the content I just took from the debate, and others previous wikipedia entries made... I simply reworded points to make them statements of fact... fingers crossed that's enough for the wikipedia crowd.

And as I said once we have an accept page we can add to the content to correct any, mistakes I made!

colin
croo
Regular

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:26 am

u re cunning.. haha.. dont worry, if we should fall... there will be many willing to take our place.. :D
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:30 am

afalcone wrote:I put there the "Goals...",
Ah.. so it was u.. i shuld read the history Tab which tells us who puts what, or deleted what. As long as u registered as member, your id appears on what u did. Interesting!

Thanks!
red1
Site Admin

Postby goanookie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:58 am

Hi All,

I have added that Adempiere Article on WP to my watchlist, little protection against deletion but at least I will know when something happens to it, be it an edit or deletion. A little effort to revert the page should it happen.

And since there has been lots of buzz around Adempiere in the last days and the need to have a cooperative platform, as mentioned in _that_ other thread, I'm offering a mediawiki installation install and ready to be used. Let me know something if you should need it, because user creating is currently disabled. Doesn't take long to revoke that and the WP article is already copied to it.

Regards
Peter
Information wants to be free
goanookie

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:55 am

Pete,
WIKIpedia doesnt allow reverting or pasting back what they deleted. Its rightfully regulated with encyclopeadiac entries and edits and proper rules that u can read from what they have posted about the subject at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Red1_D_Oon .

However it seems to have survive for the last 6 hours + and thus i think Colin really made it, and at first throw. We shall hyperlink his name forever to WIKI as tribute of what was thought as an impossible task (at least by me).

btw tell me more about what u meant by MEDIAWIKI. Any link? Still seems a bit new to me.

Thanks a lot! and welcome to Adempiere!
Last edited by red1 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
red1
Site Admin

Postby goanookie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:39 am

Mediawiki is the name of the software used by wikipedia, if you scroll down to the bottom on every page on WP, you'll see a little img powerd by mediawiki.

Peter
goanookie

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:46 am

Pete,
So how is the MediaWiki u did for Adempiere hosted? If u cannot host it, just give the requirements here, and i m sure we can find a host easily.

This may mean that we have many forms of media content sites but this is all too well i guess to make the Bazaar proliferate. The magical thing about the web is the hyperlink and the click to go anywhere instantly.

It will take some getting used to toh when it becomes a hypercity soon :lol: .

thanks again.
red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby goanookie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:51 am

I'll consider is as a green light so here is the link http://greenconcept.net/mediawiki
Be patiented, due to restrictions by my ISP.

Peter
goanookie

Postby red1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 am

Pete,
The light is always green here. It only turns red when we need to avoid a collision, little chance in a cyber bazaar. We shall see when we reach the bridge - or cyber impasse.
red1
Site Admin

Postby jaztek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Just letting you guys know - my business is partly an isp - we have control of the machines which are co-located in data centres. If you need access to anything - let me know and I'll provide you free access.

We have a control panel to manage everything by including email, mysql, sub domains etc. We have jboss servers. So let me know if I can help.

Mike
jaztek

Postby croo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:04 pm

red1 wrote:i think Colin really made it

or the wiki-witches don't work on weekends! :-)
I think if it's still there by Monday ... then it's looking good!

colin
croo
Regular

ADempiere server

Postby globalqss » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:23 am

jaztek wrote:We have jboss servers

Hey, what if we install ADempiere in a jboss server and we use actively Requests module and Knowledge base to give paid and first class support.

The free support will be on sourceforge, but premier support can be done with Requests module !!! And we're being first users of our own software.

In my country we say "In blacksmith house wood knife", I think we must be the first using ADempiere.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz
globalqss
Senior

Postby red1 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:38 am

i m not really in for Adempiere directly into paid support. Perhaps that paid support is housed by Adempiere but allowed to subscribed partners doing their own paid support.

In this way we are merely a bazaar that charges rental too for premier tenants, in a strategy that is lateral thinking from Edward de Bono's book.

De Bono talks of a premium phone booth that cost USD1 a call besides the 10cents one. So that in emergencies users can choose. The point there is that both are the same quality phone booths, just that charges differently makes sure that the premium one ensures a much shorter queue and thus faster render of service.

Which means we give equally good free support on our free phone booth and not in the lots of those paying tenants.

So we remain the open community. The professional sevices remain 'business as usual'.

Some avoidance of conflict of interest here.

Thanks a lot that u sparked again another evolving idea to cater for the possible vast interests that the bazaar must cope with pretty soon ;)
red1
Site Admin

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:43 am

I found this message from the WIKI admin
Notability?
Red1 D Oon, you've taken this a long way from the original version. It's a lot more encyclopedic in tone now. However, I'm still considering nominating it for deletion, because the notabilty of the organization has yet to be established. It's not enough that it exists; it has to have had a quantifiable and non-trivial impact on the software industry. Please see WP:ORG for guidelines. And since your username coincides with the name of the leader of this organization, you might want to check out WP:VAIN as well. Thanks, and good luck! --Pagana 19:17, 11 September 2006 (UTC)

So question is, has Adempiere become notable? I can only think of the German IT News. If anyone got anymore news flash pls link it as a news link there at wiki.

I cant do it due to the VAIN clause.

thanks
red1
Site Admin

Postby croo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:50 am

red1,

okay I made the following changes ...
"As a community based project all are entitled to their say -and are
encouraged to do so- but, with community members in over 15 countries
stretched across four continents, for practical purposes the project is
guided by a Council of contributors. A leader is nominated from this
Council to act as overall Project Manager. The role of the Adempiere
Council is to"

In the above paragraph I removed the specific reference to you good self
... hopefully that will take care of the of the VAIN issue ... and I
added the little bit about member in >15 countries and 4 continents ...
(we really need to find someone in Africa & Australia then we can say
six continents :-)
Anyway I'm hoping that might give us the "International Organisation"
status they refer to in the NOTABLE page.
I was tempted to add the german portal article in the external links...
what do you think?

colin
croo
Regular

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:41 am

U can count in Neil Gordon of South Africa (i m wwriting to him to be listed in our .org and repost his media into our proejct wiki (requested from Mike Judd, UK)

Yes, yes .. the German news.. thats notable, aint it? Here is the link info again :
gba wrote:Let me first say that you made it to Germany's biggest IT news portal.
Here you can read the message about your fork:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/77954

I m sure there is more news ... *ahem* u know what i mean.

Yes thank you for removing my name reference. Its not comfortable personally to me either. :D Now its so much professional ;)
red1
Site Admin

Postby croo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:17 pm

okay I added the new portal article under "References" - this seems to be how other article handle such links.
I also added a lot more links from our article to words & phrases already in wikipedia

I modified to put us in 5 continents now thanks to Neil Gordon! :-)

so fingers crossed that'll be enough for the wikiwitches :-)

how is the espanol version doing, it it being tagged for deletion too?

One last question, red1... I need to add a tag to the logo image to decalre the creator and what kind of license/copyright is it covered by? I don't know if we can assign it to adempiere as it's not actually a legal entity ... either way I think we should attribute it to whoever actually created it .. which was?

colin
croo
Regular

Postby afalcone » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm

how is the espanol version doing, it it being tagged for deletion too?

Never was tagged for deletion.
It seems that in Spanish we are free to write what we want. :wink:

Today I have refresh the content with the reference to the 15 countries and 5 continents. We are growing!!! :D

regards

Alejandro
afalcone
Regular

Postby croo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm

actually it must be more than 15 countries by now!?
Well I definitely forget to increase the countries by one when I added Neil...
I was just searching postings here to see who was were ...
now I'm just counting countries that have at least one member ... so if your country is listsed by you are not don't worry.
1. Malaysia - Red1
2. Chile - rvergara
3. Argentina - afalcone
4. USA - paviles
5. Colombia - globalqss
6. Bulgaria - trifon
7. Mexico - vpj-cd
8. Germany - karsten-thien
9. Slovakia - misoz
10. Belgium - goanookie
11. Spain - lofx
12. Italy - Marco Lombardo
13. UK - Michael Judd
14. China - Peter Shen
15. South Africa - Neil Gordon
16. Ireland - croo

Did I miss anywhere?

colin
croo
Regular

count me in...from Romania

Postby tiberiu.atudorei » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:03 am

17. Romania - Tiberiu Atudorei
tiberiu.atudorei

Postby croo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:10 am

Duely noted Tiberiu and wikipedia update!

colin
croo
Regular

Next

Return to Open Forum