Wishing for a Compiere PHP frontend

Create your own tidbits here. Drinks on the house. Ash-trays provided.

Wishing for a Compiere PHP frontend

Postby neilg » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to see a PHP web front end for Compiere. There could be a new open source project for this.

Not being privy to the Compiere circle I'm not sure if this sounds dumb.

I am not the only one who doesn't like the web front end (2.5.1g)

Anyone got any thoughts? ... (anyone?)

Regards

Neil
Last edited by neilg on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilg
Regular

Postby trifon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am

I preffer java, JSP and servlets.

This is good idea, but will require huge effords.

Regards,
Trifon
Trifon Trifonov
trifon
Senior

Postby neilg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:31 am

If we consider PHP for a minute.

We could generate the PHP code for all the windows when the AD changes.

We could use something like Jelly as an interface to call the Java code for callouts, processes, etc.
Last edited by neilg on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilg
Regular

Postby trifon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:36 am

neilg wrote:We could use something like Maven as an interface to call the Java code for callouts, processes, etc.

Wow, sounds intersting.
Could you show me an example?

Regards,
Trifon
Trifon Trifonov
trifon
Senior

Postby neilg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:56 am

I meant to say jelly.

Was just reading about it... more info on:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly

A small sample from there:

Rather like Velocity, the XML can contain expressions to make the output dynamic and can work with a variable context.

<document time="${now}">
Welcome ${user.name} to Jelly!
</document>

XML elements can be bound to some Java code to implement some kind of dynamic processing. The default way to do this is to implement Jelly Tags which are Java Beans which also implement Jelly's Tag interface.
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:37 am

Hi NeilG,
Just like in that quote it mentioned about Velocity, and i already now how to use this marvelous quick presentation layer with Java in the http://sourceforge.net/projects/university , why dont we consider using that instead of Php/JellyTags? Thus we still stick to the common language Java.
I certainly agree that the Compiere UI doesnt launch a thousand developers.

red1
red1
Site Admin

Framework

Postby neilg » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:13 pm

Agreed.

We need something that will generate screens using the Compiere AD structure suplemented by 'Web Forms' similiar to Compiere's forms.

Your framework sounds very compelling and I've had a brief look at it. We should assess the options and decide on the best course. It sounds like you have manpower at your disposal in terms of the framework you mentioned (is this correct?) and that would be ideal.

I don't know if you've looked at the XP methodology. After reading a book on it I am more or less a convert. I think we need to employ a methodology. Maybe there is also an existing model for distributed development as well, which we can look at. I have some material on XP which I can send to you (red1 or trifon). There is also work that needs to be done in writing an open source test framework for use within Compiere.

Some of the best open source development has been done after hours by full time employees. That's the boat I'm in at the moment. There is nothing better than contributing to Compiere which I'd like to do after hours. I'm sure there are others who would like to do the same. We need a way to tap into this potential. Remember that we are going to be competing with commercial products which will offer the same functionality (ie decent web UI) as a value add. Therefore we have to ensure our product is the best and the most architecturally sound. If we can pull this off it is our ticket to a really meaningful contribution to Compiere.

I await your thoughts. I think we should try get going with this as soon as possible otherwise it will always be something we would like to do oneday.
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:18 pm

Neil,
We have in our university's CVS, a branch on Compiere252d that we actively use between Trifon and me (sorry the other Meccans are not onto this yet due to heavy engagements), so we can put u into the CVS too and move from there.

We can try to first create a POC on the mid-platform where it talks to the underlying Compiere components but export to Velocity UI instead. I will ask Sam's help. I know u have a done and posted sumting like that here.

Another aspect is also using Jasper + IReports that is getting more attractive, toh Eclipse BIRT is there, but lets walk on smaller egg baskets first.

Slow and steady....
red1
Site Admin

Return to Open Forum