Adding payroll to Compiere

Create your own tidbits here. Drinks on the house. Ash-trays provided.

Adding payroll to Compiere

Postby ola » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:02 pm

We have a client that wants Compiere, but they also need a (simple) payroll system and want to have this functionality in the Compiere environment.
As this feature is missing in Compiere I'm gonna try to add it.

My first approach was looking around to see if someone else had done something that we could use, but so far I haven't found anything.
(Well, I've used the tutorials of red1, by far the best information on Compiere that exists, but I was looking specifically for payroll/HR implementations.

Does anyone know about a project like this?

Is anyone interested in doing something similar?

Well, as I haven't found anything, I'm gonna try to do this myself.
My experience with Compiere is very limited so I'm learning along the way.

My idea on how to work is something like this:

1 Specify the tables I need for the payroll system
2 Insert these tables in the Compiere DB
3 Add the tables and corresponding windows to Application Dictionary
(AD_Table, AD_Column, AD_ELEMENT, AD_WINDOW etc.)
4 Fix up the windows to the look the client wants
5 Add some calculations (for salary, taxes, vacation etc.)
6 Connect these data to appropriate Compiere data (accounts)
7 Create report types that are needed

Right now I'm in step 3 and trying to find my way around all the tables (it takes patience), but I think I'll figure it out.
Step 5 and 6, I don't really have an idea how to do, but there must be some way.

What do you think of this method of doing it?
(Good, Bad, Crazy)

Anything else that I should think about?

Cheers,

Ola
ola

Postby red1 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:12 am

Hi Ola,
Thanks for joining.

I think its very good. Cos u laid out a plan first before doing.

I was a payroll programmer 22 years ago, so i did try to revisit my former speciality. I first wrote out some napkin specs here (which i just loaded up after reading your post - http://compiere.red1.org/payrollspecs.zip

Its in word format and it merely allows me to do your step 4 easily. (where i stopped)

Its step 5 and 6 that is the business logic and u follow the pattern and modelling in other jars of Compiere.

Step 7 is much saved by Compiere's platform as the reports should be self-generated and u merely again model according to what is already done.

So u can say that step 7 is actually configuring rather than creating.

I like to pursue this further when i get a similar project on this, otherwise i m doing this in-house with some of my team members. U can join us at http://sourceforge.net/projects/university and focus on the payroll part for Compiere only. We re doing other stuff there, but the payroll is a common module and can be parked under the Compiere Integration section. Open Source is the only way forward now to collaborate, recuperate and motivate.

red1
red1
Site Admin

Postby ola » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:13 am

red1,

Thanks for the info!

> Open Source is the only way forward now to collaborate, recuperate and motivate.

Sure, I'll try to put something up later, right now it changes too much from day to day (or hour to hour).

Another problem is to divide what is general payroll properties and what is specific for one country or company. In this project we will have the focus of doing a specific solution, but based on that experience something more general could be done.

Ola
ola

Postby red1 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:57 am

yes Ola,
U put it aptly. Thus at the reqs stage to abstract and factor out the common into a horizontal definition and the locales into verticals will be good.

From my rather rudiment document u can guess which are our local reqs. We can begin to look at where it is common and iterate along.

regards
red1
red1
Site Admin

HR&Payroll

Postby antony_praveen80 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Any more information regarding Payroll
antony_praveen80

Return to Open Forum