Best Path to Learn JAVA + Compiere

Create your own tidbits here. Drinks on the house. Ash-trays provided.

Best Path to Learn JAVA + Compiere

Postby mir_shajahan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Hai Red1,
This is an Open Forum, so I guess I am just putting the topic on the right place. Now I am having trouble understanding Java codes in Compiere, even I did learn JAVA previously but not too extreme... It been quite long I never refresh my mind on Java, and now its time for me to grab it back....

I just dont know where I store all my java knowledge in my brain... missing somewhere there...hahaha! :D . So I grab all my old books, only two books which I bought long time ago >JAVA 2 Complete< and >JAVA 2 by Example<. Yes this book are helping me. But just refresh my mind by 10% only. This is because, Compiere is more extreme JAVA and it would really helpful if you can tell me how did you manage to learn the language in short time.

I have been with Compiere about two month and I have not learn all the functions that I can be use in Compiere. Now I am just good at creating table, windows and things that are related to the application dictionary. And now its time for me to get deep into coding.

And it would be just nice, if you can show me or make a path on what should I master first in java to master Compiere. I am good in writing simple program, standalone java program. But when it come to Compiere coding, I easily get confuse - {may be I am fobia to huge lines of Codes :oops: }

So, I just need some good Advice from you, to keep on going... {give me some motivation lah... :idea: }

Any help is really appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Regards,

<< aMir >>
mir_shajahan

Postby red1 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:39 am

Well Amir,
There are various ways to speed up the learning process.
Of course motivation can come from doing a live project where you have to find the bug or solve a problem before the sun comes up! I face a good share of those problems that in the end i become like a bug myself!

You have to stick to a certain problem or track until you come out at the end of it. Never ask anyone to help u, believe only in yourself. Be stubborn, damn stubborn and keep telling yourself, you will get it on your own.

I can say that i am still bedazzled by Java. :roll: There are certain Java code pattern that i can never understand how it really work. But it doesnt matter when u can solve a bug just by playing a few tricks with it until u get it right. Its like saying the magic words in front of the Cave Door. You try all until it open, u just enter it without thinking much of why it opens. This is my experience. I understand the solution at an abstract meaning or manner.

Its like the way we speak, we dont really understand how our brains function or able to arrange the words in meaningful logical way. Its jsut meaningful. So is it with Java. Keep practicing with real hard knocks from a live client with no help, then u really learn and learn fast.

If thats what u describe me as, a person who picked it up so fast?! :?
Either i say it must be because i have been at it for more than a year, which u havent, and need say maybe 4 more months and u get the same level as me, as i wasnt hard core programmer after leaving it for more than 10 years.

Another aspect of understanding the Compiere Java, is to understand it from a higher and wider angle, meaning u got to delve into the functions, SQLs, even cross-read stuff such as JBoss, J2EE, OfBiz, Salmon(Sophia), XML, etc which i did read and setup, at least for the sake of proving i am not a fluke.

But still i must say there are many times i am stumped by the stuff i come across. Well, thats what makes it challenging. And bugs sometimes make your day more lively. :wink:

Perhaps, you can also tell me which code pattern you find it hard to understand, i like to see if i already understood it, i shall make it clear to you. If not, i will tell u "i have no idea".
red1
red1
Site Admin

Thank for the advice!

Postby mir_shajahan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 pm

Really, really thanks for the great advice...!

Your right, after reading ur advice, I just notice that I am already following ur advice...

You have to stick to a certain problem or track until you come out at the end of it. Never ask anyone to help u, believe only in yourself. Be stubborn, damn stubborn and keep telling yourself, you will get it on your own.

Now I am spending more time hunting and cooking the java coding... Trying to recall what I have forgotten and must able to produce the report with in this one or two week..s

Thanks alot....

Regards,

<< aMir >>[/quote]
mir_shajahan

java is deceptively simple

Postby neilg » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:20 am

I don't think Java is an easy language, maybe I'm just getting old.

The challenges one faces are not only one of semantics but also of may other varying aspects:

- The cost of writing/maintaining new code vs using existing code
- When to use 3rd party commercial apps/components for requirements (why spend 3 months writing it when you could buy it for $100? Its a no brainer, buy it!)
- Learning about Design Patterns (I'm really just a beginner) but it is important. I would go so far as to say, don't just buy a java how-to, also buy a book on patterns. Otherwise we are programming without hindsite
- Choice of presentation for the user. I think Swing is very expensive to learn/deploy in terms of development time. Also I'm not sure rich client is the future.
- Hundreds of different IDE's , methodologies, etc, etc to choose from. If you choose any one specific item it may set you back weeks in terms of time and productivity if it is the wrong choice.

Learning to code in Java takes some time but to learn about all the other potential pitfalls and complexities could take a lifetime. I think it is worthwhile to research as much as possible (books, internet,etc). The first, or any code you write to solve a problem, might be incredibly expensive.

I don't think one should write a stitch of code without drawing a diagram first. Now if you want to draw a diagram you should learn UML. That is an entire subject on its own. But until I know it, any diagram is better than no diagram at all. I still break this rule.

I've changed my mind and approach away from being fanatically open source to being fanatically cost efficient. Although this might be a different topic.
neilg
Regular

Return to Open Forum