Test driven development and pair programming most important

For those who ventured too far - just hope they know their way back :)

Moderator: neilg

Test driven development and pair programming most important

Postby neilg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:16 am

In case no one mentioned it before when developing java code the two concepts most important to successful development are Test Driven Development and Pair Programming. Becoming expert at the Extreme Programming methodology http://www.extremeprogramming.org will give any project the best chance at success, I believe.

This might be introduced from grassroots up however since the methodology goes reverse against many traditional concepts I think the acceptance rate in a conservative organization could be as low as 10%. The safest if being a really good developer and securing a new job would only be to work at an organization fanatical about practices. Should be Extreme Programming practice or a strongly related practice.

I believe the XP practice or improvement thereof will be taught at university once they have caught up. Test driven development and pair programming are no brainers once we have caught on.
neilg
Regular

Pair programming over internet will become a reality

Postby neilg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:02 am

See the following

http://www.jroller.com/page/bobfoster?entry=cool_things_from_netbeans_day

Collaborative programming (pair) using netbeans.
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 pm

Test driven programming hasnt cot on for me, but EP and Pair had, as those two are right for pragmatic learning.

For one, it takes effort to suffer thru what is tot as unnecesary. But i heed Neil's words. AAMOF, i mentioned about Eclipse's incorporated JUnit (?) for building test before code, as the right principle to follow, to my fellows here.

Difference here is that when one is putting forth what he praticised, the results he gets will stand as motivation, rather than what the theory said.
red1
Site Admin

Pair programming - why?

Postby neilg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:19 am

For me the reason why pair programming (in fact, pair everything) is imperative is that I've realized that my mind is too narrowly focused to ever develop (or postulate) anything productively , where considering I will always get caught up on a tangent and never research (or code) anything in the most efficient manner.

Since I am presently a solo developer my only worthwhile goal at the moment is to find out ways of doing this over the internet. Since this is the internet this must have been done already....

Test driven development will yield amazing turn around in terms of productivity and focus... must be tried to believed... and not confused with writing unit tests...
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:46 am

Why dont u write a test case and show it here? I havent missed it, did i?
red1
Site Admin

Return to Strictly Technical