[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
From Flames To Fork, Comes Freedom • View topic - Porting to another database system

Porting to another database system

For those who ventured too far - just hope they know their way back :)

Moderator: neilg

Porting to another database system

Postby gerald » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:54 am

Hi,

I am trying to add code to Compiere to allow it to use Derby as the database. From the looks of the file listings of Compiere from CVS, it appears there are people attempting to add support for DB2, Oracle, and PostgreSQL. I would like some advice on which files I would have to modify/add.

Thanks,
Gerald
gerald

Postby gerald » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:18 am

I have a few questions below.

It appears I have to add a file to allow connections to the Derby database: /compiere-all/dbPort/src/org/compiere/db/DB_Derby.java.
(1) How does an instance of Compiere know whether it is a server or a client?
(1a) Does it matter whether an instance of Compiere know whether it is a server or a client?

Under /compiere-all/db/database/, there are directories Access, Create, Functions, Procedures, Startup. Only Startup, has directories for each database system.
(2) Were the files in the Startup directory generated using the Oracle-dependent SQL statements with a conversion using functions in Convert.java?
(3) Why is Startup the only directory that has directories for each database system?
/compiere-all/dbPort/src/org/compiere/dbPort/Convert.java
/compiere-all/dbPort/src/org/compiere/dbPort/ConvertMap.java

Any help is appreciated.

Gerald
gerald

Postby moyses » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:14 am

It seems that Compiere Inc. is working on this also.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/0 ... piere.html
moyses

Compiere starts up on Hsqldb

Postby neilg » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:31 am

I've got Compiere starting up on Hsqldb. And you can edit a business partner and create a sales order and thats about all.

See the url there is a link to sourceforge where you can download the source code.

The SQL compatibility is the biggest problem. I've tried two approaches (actually combined them) - patching a bit of Hsqldb and patching a bit of Compiere.
neilg
Regular

Client or server

Postby neilg » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:39 am

neilg
Regular

Postby gerald » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:12 am

Thanks for your responses. It appears Compiere's database independence architecture will make it difficult to port to Derby. Using ConvertMap's regular expression method of converting SQL implementation does not guarantee an arbitrary DBMS's SQL implementation can be mapped from Oracle. I will have to document my problems and have someone else from my organization look over this. If you can answer anymore of my questions, please do because the modifications, to Compiere to allow it to use Derby, will be contributed to Compiere's CVS repository.

Gerald
gerald

DB Independance

Postby neilg » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:32 pm

neilg
Regular

Postby gerald » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:25 am

gerald

Hsqldb - got surprisingly far

Postby neilg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:59 am

neilg
Regular

sql update converter

Postby armen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Goodwill Consulting
Jakarta, Indonesia
armen

Re: sql update converter

Postby neilg » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:45 am

neilg
Regular

Worthwhile pursuit?

Postby neilg » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:54 am

neilg
Regular

Fyracle reviewed ...

Postby neilg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:57 am

neilg
Regular

Postby trifon » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:11 am

Greeting dear database indepenece fans.

I woul like just to ask you some questions and i would be happy to have some answers.

1) Do you really belive that anyone from Compiere Inc. is able to provide/develop database independece for Compiere. I know that they have been paid good amount of money to do it and after 2 years result is still negative. So do you really believe that they can do it now?

2) Why should anyone invest money and time for DB independence when there is Oracle XE and Compiere can run on it(at least i managed to run it). So for small companies Oracle XE will give cheap ERP solutions and for big companies money invested in Oracle support are not so big problem.

This time i'm from the side posting questions and answers are appreciated.

Regards,
Trifon
Trifon Trifonov
trifon
Senior

No

Postby neilg » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:58 am

neilg
Regular

Postby trifon » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:25 am

Trifon Trifonov
trifon