Dictionary Migration

For those who ventured too far - just hope they know their way back :)

Moderator: neilg

Dictionary Migration

Postby clapas » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 pm

Hello,
i'll put some questions down as well as some assumptions in the hope that someone can corroborate them.

There are 3 layers in the Compiere design, from some viewpoint: Dictionary, Generated Model and Domain Model which, respectively, are implemented by:

SQL artifacts allocated in the DataBase,
GenerateModel.java and PO.java classes and
the model java classes (most of them in the org.compiere.model package)

Sometimes the term Application Dictionary (AD) is used to refer to all the Dictionary entities, but this is only a subset of the whole Dictionary entities. I.e., some Dictionary subsets or categories:

Application Dictionary (AD): application specific entities, such as windows, tabs, users, etc.
Core Functionality (C): ..
Product Management (M): ..

About Model Driven Architecture (MDA): although Compiere is said to be MDA developed, the only sign of MDA that I can find is the transformation from the Dictionary to the Generated Model (MDA is faced with Model Transformations).

The migration process consists of comparing the structure of the reference dictionary (database) for the target Compiere version with the current one (the reference dictionary is the one released with a specific version). Why is a CVS monitoring and change management system needed? Should the migration process consider the data or just the structure? Simply put, suppose we turn false the active column of a certain tab in the (dictionary entity) Product window, will the migration procedure turn back its value to true?

Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Claudio
"Sorprenderse, extrañarse, es comenzar a entender."
-- José Ortega y Gasset
clapas

Postby trifon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:22 am

Hi Claudio,

>> Simply put, suppose we turn false the active column of a certain tab in the (dictionary entity) Product window, will the migration procedure turn back its value to true?

Yes, Migration willovverride you changes, unless you mark them as customization.

I haven't used migration service, because i preffer compilo.sf.net tool.

Regards
Trifon
Trifon Trifonov
trifon
Senior

Postby clapas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:14 am

Thank you trifon,
I have seen the XML2AD tool from the compilo project. But, don't you need first to know what to code in XML? I think it is when it comes with the CVS monitorization and change management system (?).

-Why is this (CVS monit., etc.) needed?
-Is there a tool for comparing two Application Dictionaries, and then perform the modifications with XML2AD?
-What about dictionary entities other than AD, such as the product mgt. (P), core (C), etc? Can you still use XML2AD?

Regards,

Claudio
-- José Ortega y Gasset
clapas

Postby trifon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:22 am

Hi,

CVS is necessary for source code change monitoring.

>> But, don't you need first to know what to code in XML?

Yes, you nneed to know what to store in xml.
You can store Table, column, window, field and many other definitions in xml format.

>> -Is there a tool for comparing two Application Dictionaries, and then perform the modifications with XML2AD?

No.

>> -What about dictionary entities other than AD, such as the product mgt. (P), core (C), etc? Can you still use XML2AD?

Yes.

Regards,
Trifon
Trifon Trifonov
trifon
Senior

Postby clapas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:05 am

Hello,

>> CVS is necessary for source code change monitoring.

Yes. My question is why is CVS monit., etc. needed in migration.

>>Yes, you nneed to know what to store in xml.
>>You can store Table, column, window, field and many other definitions in xml format.

I know. I refered to what (tables, columns, windows, etc.) to code. One must introduce the reference dictionary while keeping user changes, customizations, etc.

As you said, there is not any tool for dictionaries comparison so, do you compare them by hand? And what about the data in the DB?

Thank you
-- José Ortega y Gasset
clapas

Return to Strictly Technical