Debuggin Teething Pains

Ouch!! Open Source ERP & Compiere beginners WILL have Teething Pains. This is where you rumbled thru like Rasputin, cry like a babe, and grin like a chimp! :D

Moderators: lofx, neilg, moyses, hema

Debuggin Teething Pains

Postby jonjon » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:07 am

My gums are getting sore but thanks to the Red! Callout.pdf and Remote_debug.pdf at least they are not bleeding. These are excellent docs but being a novice I must be missing something. When doing java app debugging I can get as far as the outline below but am not
comfortable with it yet
compiere -> Amenu -> AmenuStartItem -> Awindow -> Apanel
thats as far as I could get .

Remote debugging I have not been as lucky... first of all all my breakpoints seem to be in the same workspace and are recognized but ignored by the remote debug that does connect to the server on port 8787. On page 12 - 13 of callout.pdf the picture shows compiere as a java application and "Account Posting and Web Interface runs on the JBoss application service and you can only see their debug prompts off console" On the page 5 of remote_debug.pdf it states "Now execute your usual Debug which is the Compiere proper....

However I have many break points and have just barely made it to the part where the menu system is up and you can pick a item off the menu like order entry and which I haven't been able to debug yet ( I suppose that is where the remote debugging comes in )

Sometimes I can get into the app to the order entry part and most the time I can't, it seems to be a series of resumes and brakepoints and knowing just the right line the step into instead of step over to make it to the point where you can see just what menu_id the order entry screen or and other menu item is being called.

What I gather is you start a remote debug session and then start another your "usual" java application as well and if you can get deep enough like to an order entry screen then the remote debug will pick up the debugging from there . Its just an educated guess since I have not been able to debug that deep yet. Considering I have not done any java programming in a couple of years when server side debugging was non existent this when
its works will be as amazing as well Compiere is as a Open Source app.

Thanks for any help

Jon :roll:
jonjon

Postby red1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:39 am

Hi Jon,
U will soon be there. Trust me. What u have done is just the opening steps and its like a archaelogist who just arrived at the Cairo airport and began digging for Pharoah's tombs.
U got to travel more farther without much breaks, and just study the prompts when doing general work. A real bug can help u dive in.
This is adventure, and i dont have all the answers; but at least i been there and returned to give u some signposts. ;)

Thanks for joining!
red1

p/s this thread will soon move to Tutantahtemum's tomb i.e. Strictly Technical.
red1
Site Admin

Thanks Red1

Postby jonjon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 am

Thanks Red1

I set up another workspace which was clean of any previous breakpoints and the it started to work. First I started the jboss server with the JPDA options uncommented in the run.conf file and then started a remote session from eclipse. Once that was successful I started another session from the regular java app debuging so they both were running at the same time. Then I set a breakpoint in the ProcessCTL.java and when I entered a sales order the debugging session brought me right to the breakpoint just like you said it would. Thank you for all input you have given the Compiere community for without your documents I never would have figured this out.

Jon :lol:
jonjon

Postby red1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:57 am

Hi JonJon,

Your success is my pleasure. Thank you for the important experience that will encourage others to go further than never before thought possible.

Now, we can finally seal this tomb :lol:
red1
Site Admin

Return to Growing Pains