[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
From Flames To Fork, Comes Freedom • View topic - How to become a documenter

How to become a documenter

For those who got the Open Source fever, sharing only makes you hot!

Moderator: neilg

How to become a documenter

Postby neilg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:45 am

Cross posted from knowledgesuccess.com:

Anyone can become a contributor and documenter. It is badly needed. I will publish it on if you like.

- You have any, any problem you wish to solve.
- Basically anything which takes you time to figure out is a candidate for documentation.
- Start a document (word, office, whatever)
- Write down the problem. Take a screenshot if necessary.
- As you go you may document what you learn.
- Take screenshots if helpful

The thinking behind this is - help the next guy. That will save him time. Maybe he will then be able to document the next thing which you will find useful.
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:42 am

I have my reasons for documenting:

1) Documentation as part of the job
2) To assist me when i forget what i did
3) As a tutorial to brand oneself as guru
4) To practice writing as a skill, and brand oneself as an author
5) To allow prospects to believe that you are really a guru

And reasons for posting them free:
1) In suscribing to the self-coined philosophy that "Information Is Free".
2) I dont lose anything if everyone reads them
3) I lost out if only i read them
4) I get fans when everyone reads them
5) I get fanatical fans when they read nothing else
6) Used as time savers as they wont bother you when they have something to read
7) After they have read, the next time they call on you is most likely a sale call i.e. wishing to buy your time.
8) If its not a sale call then ask them to read the tutorials and enjoy point number (6).
red1
Site Admin

Return to Contributor's Corner