Compiere (Testing) Framework discontinued

For those who got the Open Source fever, sharing only makes you hot!

Moderator: neilg

Compiere (Testing) Framework discontinued

Postby neilg » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:34 am

(This was the original idea)

We have released a new project on sourceforge. The aim of the project is to promote Test Driven development in Compiere and re-use of code.

Compiere database is replicated into Hsqldb and the tests are run on Hsqldb. A secondary benefit of this is that development can be done offline from the main Compiere database.

The project is currently in alpha stage and based on release 2.5.2d of Compiere.

See http://www.knowledgesuccess.com for more information.
Last edited by neilg on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
neilg
Regular

Project abandoned....

Postby neilg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 am

I've abandoned the idea of porting compiere to hsqldb , the reason is I think there are more worthwhile pursuits, and compiere will support derby one of these days anyway.

Perhaps then someone will write a test framework for compiere. However I would still encourage everyone to write test cases first per junit.org (test driven development) even if you base it on data in garden world which might change. Not sure what the term is but it is a temporary kind of test but better than nothing. Production code should be pair programmed per extreme programming methodology.

These two ideas alone can save your project.
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:04 am

i hear rumours that Java 6 will have inbuilt automatic testing for any project using it. Java is certainly progressing fast. Now Compiere 253 is on Java 5, so we can look forward that perhaps the next version 254 can be on Java 6 :)
red1
Site Admin

Sounds good....

Postby neilg » Mon May 22, 2006 10:33 am

Red1, sounds a bit too good to be true. Java would need to understand what you're up to in order to really do this. I think give it another 5 years then we'll be there :)

red1 wrote:i hear rumours that Java 6 will have inbuilt automatic testing for any project using it. Java is certainly progressing fast. Now Compiere 253 is on Java 5, so we can look forward that perhaps the next version 254 can be on Java 6 :)
neilg
Regular

Postby red1 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:38 am

Yes, i see what u mean. I guess its more low level performance testing and code optimizing stuff rather than business logic.
red1
Site Admin

Postby sureshquest » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:09 am

Well ... Java 6 does not really do any automatic testing, But it enforces lot of code optimisations. And there have been many testing tools and analysis tools integrated to the jdk, which helps you to do any testing or analysis on your program very easily. which is infact possible with previous java versions as well, but u need to use external tools. After mustang, everything comes under one roof.
sureshquest
Regular

Return to Contributor's Corner